VMware Cloud Community
jorge_c
Contributor
Contributor

OVA deployment - "Transfer failed: The OVF descriptor is not available"

Hello,

I am having a problem when trying to deploy an OVA file. The message "Transfer failed: The OVF descriptor is not available" is displayed. Any suggestions? Much appreciated.

47 Replies
AlanKass1701
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, this worked for me!

0 Kudos
Pontificus
Contributor
Contributor

1/14/2023:  I had this same problem.  The solution for me was to assign the VM to the ESXi HOST and not the datacenter or cluster.  It imported correctly then.  In this case, I had a cluster of only one host (Horizon 8, installed via VCenter).  Probably logging directly into the ESXi web interface would have done the same thing.

0 Kudos
DGR_MKeeton
Contributor
Contributor

Late to the party but interestingly as of latest OVF attempt Firefox failed first time around (Transfer failed: The OVF descriptor is not available") and Edge worked fine. To be fair I didn't try closing browser, reauthenticating nor using private window. Either way for people looking at this issue, the first easy checks are to ensure you are logged in and authenticated to vCenter in the web browser followed by trying a different web browser. That is as long as vCenter and ESXi host certs are trusted on the particular computer attempting to upload from.

0 Kudos
tinkeredthinker
Contributor
Contributor

Surprisingly, Firefox worked like a charm. Thanks

0 Kudos
mandeeeps468
Contributor
Contributor

I was also facing same error message with chrome browser and then switched to firefox.

Thanks @avinsh 

aartik1
Contributor
Contributor

It is 2024 now and the same issue still persists with the latest Edge, Chrome.

Ultimately firefox(latest version) helped me to solve this error. Thanks.

0 Kudos
skumar33
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

when we faced this issue, we disabled proxy in the browser and the deployment got completed.

0 Kudos
RichardKenyan
Contributor
Contributor

It is 2024, and this is still an issue...just adding to the pile as I found this as the first search engine hit:

Edge - Version 122.0.2365.92 (Official build) (64-bit) - failed

Swapped to Firefox - 123.0.1 (64-bit) - worked fine

no other changes other than switching a browser.

0 Kudos