VMware Cloud Community
VMNoob123
Contributor
Contributor

ONLY "Session Credentials" work vCenter

I see plenty of threads for the opposite issue (can't log on using Session Credentials" check box), but we have the exact opposite issue: Manually typing in domain\username and password does not work for anyone 100%; if you use the "Use Windows Session Credentials" check box, it works every time. Any one have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - does the domain/user name that you are using have access to the vcenter server and has that user been provided permission to access vcenter -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
VMNoob123
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. The same domain user account logged in to PC the client is running from. Session Credentials work, but manually entering the very same does not.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Wild guess vCenter 51.?

In C:\Program files\Vmware\Infrastructure\SSOServer\logs should be an imsTrace.log.

Try logging in with typing username and password and then have a look into that log. If there is a java backtrace telling that it cannot establish a managed connection to your domain controller you will need to fix your identity source configuration.

You can also try to use the web client to login, as the error message you are getting there tends to be more specific and should pop up the according kb articles when you search for it.

0 Kudos
VMNoob123
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't see anything obvious in the imsTrace.log, so tried the web client and got this message:

"The authentication server returned an unexpected error: ns0:RequestFailed: Internal Error while creating SAML 2.0 Token. The error may be caused by a malfunctioning identity source."

Which I suppose points to the Identity Source config (which looks OK as far as I can tell), but assuming that is the issue, doesn't using the "Session Credntials" check box (which works remember), use the same identity source?

And yes, it is 5.1

Sorry for the delay, been out on a fire 🙂

0 Kudos