VMware Cloud Community
whyAreAllUserna
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not able to apply proper license after working with Evaluation license for 2 weeks

After trying out various features (vMotion, DRS, distributes switches) with the Evaluation License, I wanted to apply the Essentials Kit license we bought.

I deactivated DRS and vMotion, and moved the networking back to standard virtual switches.

When I now try to assign a license to a ESXi host, it states vMotion was still activated. I followed the KB article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1010376 precisely and all vmKernel adapters have the vMotion flag set to disabled, as you can see in the screenshot attached. There is only this one vmKernel adapter per host. The configuration is the same on all hosts. I can apply the license to none of them.

Screenshot 2019-03-01 at 20.09.17.png

Screenshot 2019-03-01 at 19.41.12.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have VMs running on these hosts? Anything pointed at vCenter (backup, monitoring, etc)? If not, you might try to remove the hosts from inventory and add them back. Sometimes state gets hung up in the DB and isn't purged until you do this. There are considerations to doing this, but if you haven't really started building this out yet and don't have things hooked up, remove/re-add is normally fine.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try in the Flex client (https://<FQDN>/vsphere-client) and see if that works for you. Could be an issue in the HTML5 client.

whyAreAllUserna
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

exactly the same I'm afraid

Screenshot 2019-03-08 at 17.10.22.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have VMs running on these hosts? Anything pointed at vCenter (backup, monitoring, etc)? If not, you might try to remove the hosts from inventory and add them back. Sometimes state gets hung up in the DB and isn't purged until you do this. There are considerations to doing this, but if you haven't really started building this out yet and don't have things hooked up, remove/re-add is normally fine.

whyAreAllUserna
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have VMs running already on all hosts, but I could will try this and come back to tell you how it went. Thanks for you reply.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You don't still have DRS enabled in the cluster, do you?

Btw. are you working with IP addresses on purpose? If not, consider to add static Host-A entries to your DNS server, and use the FQDN names instead.

André

whyAreAllUserna
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Removing and readding the hosts to the cluster did the trick! Thank you very much.

0 Kudos