VMware Cloud Community
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

No objects are displayed in the inventory - vCenter 5.1

Good afternoon,

I have a client that is indicating that the VMs are disconnected in their vCenter, that was the day of yesterday, today I connect to check the vCenter, and observed that there are no objects in the inventory of the vCenter. Host, VM, Datastores or switches are not displayed, even I am entering with the user administrators.

However, at the vCenter services level everything is Ok. I think you should add the hosts again the inventory.

In the same way I listen to your suggestions.

Yesterday

pastedImage_0.png

Today

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_6.png

pastedImage_1.png

ju
0 Kudos
8 Replies
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Hi,

If VMs are labeled as "disconnected" it's because vCenter lost connection with hosts. Check if You can add any host to vCenter inventory.

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.
0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

Good afternoon,

I am trying to connect the host to the vcenter and it tells me the following error.

I already restart the administration agents with the following commands and it does not allow me to add it to the vcenter.

/etc/init.d/hostd restart

/etc/init.d/vpxa restart

please help.

pastedImage_0.png

ju
0 Kudos
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Check IP address of vCenter and hosts management interface. Check if You can ping on FQDN and IP address of this host from vCenter.

If the host is not identified by FQDN then name service is not working or is not configured on vCenter. If the host is not answering for ping using IP address, then resolve network connectivity problem.

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.
0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

The virtual machines of the host are on but disconnected, I can remove the host from the inventory and re-add it, but my vm will be affected?

ju
0 Kudos
vmrale
Expert
Expert

If You can ping host's management interface from vCenter's shell using FQDN or IP address You don't need to remove host from inventory and readd once again. This will not prove anything. Check if host sees remote storage device if any exists in your environment. If hosts can access remote datastores check why heartbeats are not arriving from host to vCenter in 60 seconds window.

Is this vCenter local or remote from your hosts?

If host is not yet added to vCenter, You can add it even if the VMs are running.

Regards
Radek

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Did their networking team do any changes, or was any maintenance done? The screenshot shows vcenter can't talk to the hosts over the management network, like was said before see if you can get on the vCenter host and see if you can ping on of the hosts. If you can get to the esxi web interface the host is up, and the vms are fine if you can see them running there. Removing the host and readding them shouldn't restart the vms, but can cause the vms not to go back into the right host or I think the may lose tags that have been assigned.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please do what sjesse​ said, and try to connect to the ESXi host's web GUI. If the host's IP address is reachable/pingable, but you cannot access the web GUI, then there may either be an issue with the host's services, or there's another system with the same IP address on the network.

André

0 Kudos
bryanvaneeden
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You could do a services.sh restart which restarts most of the components from the ESXi host. This should also not affect the virtual machines that are in production.

Visit my blog at https://vcloudvision.com!
0 Kudos