VMware Cloud Community
jlimbo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No access to vcsa web interface

I have 2 ESXi 6.5 instances running in workstation 14, i have installed VCSA and have a windows domain controller providing DNS. I am using workstation's host only vmnet as a management network to which all these VMs are connected. I have added entries for all these into the host file on my windows 10 host machine and can ping all these VMs from the host pc via both ip address and hostname. When I run the network test on the ESXi VMs all is ok.

The issue is that while I can ping the VCSA VM, attempting to reach it via a browser results in a refused connection error. The only indication of a problem on the VCSA VM is a message on the opening screen that say the RPM installation failed

Anybody out there got any bright ideas as to what the problem may be.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd recommend deleting and redeploying your vCSA and screenshot the process as you go that show the values for each stage you're providing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're seeing "RPM installation failed" on the console of your vCSA then that usually means it didn't get installed correctly. How exactly did you deploy your vCSA to VMware Workstation?

0 Kudos
jlimbo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for the quick response

I imported the VCSA ova file and followed the instructions

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you follow the wizard like what appears here?

How to Deploy vCenter Server appliance 6.5 on VMware Workstation 14

Did you have forward and reverse DNS records created before you deployed vCSA?

Did you downsize the appliance CPU or memory from the Tiny setting?

0 Kudos
jlimbo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, those are the instructions I used

DNS has forward and reverse records and set it up as a small deployment rather than tiny and haven't downsized the memory or cpu

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Also check time synchronization between your host running Workstation and vCSA. Hopefully you used an internal NTP source. Having time skew too large will cause similar failures. When you run "hostname" from a bash session inside your vCSA, what is the name it's reporting?

0 Kudos
jlimbo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I haven't done anything with NTP. yet, and have no idea how to set that up.

the hostname command returns VCSA1.disso.lab which is the address i've used in the browser and which i can ping successfully

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Show the output of service-control --status please

0 Kudos
jlimbo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Stopped:

applmgmt lwsmd pschealth vmafdd vmcad vmcam vmdird vmdnsd vmonapi vmware-cis-license vmware-cm vmware-content-library vmware-eam vmware-imagebuilder vmware-mbcs vmware-netdumper vmware-perfcharts vmware-psc-client vmware-rbd-watchdog vmware-rhttpproxy vmware-sca vmware-sps vmware-statsmonitor vmware-sts-idmd vmware-stsd vmware-updatemgr vmware-vapi-endpoint vmware-vcha vmware-vmon vmware-vpostgres vmware-vpxd vmware-vpxd-svcs vmware-vsan-health vmware-vsm vsphere-client vsphere-ui

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd recommend deleting and redeploying your vCSA and screenshot the process as you go that show the values for each stage you're providing.

0 Kudos
jlimbo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, done that.Had to do a bit of fiddling,but got it working now

Thanks very much for your help

Regards

John

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Does that resolve your issue or you still having problems?

0 Kudos
jlimbo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's all working fine now, thanks

0 Kudos
fullwolf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i have same question!!

but still can not use it!!

how can depoly ntp time with vcsa depoly option ?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will need to establish an NTP server locally in your lab which syncs to an external server.

0 Kudos