VMware Cloud Community
franckehret
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No NIC/IP on autodeployed nested 6.7 hosts

Hi there,

As I'm learning how to configure and handle autodeploy for my next job (or at least trying...), I face a problem when I try to deploy vSphere 6.7 hosts with the latest build : the host doesn't find its NIC (VMXNET3) and end up with no network connectivity at boot, preventing the host profile to be applied. It is like it doesn't find it at the right time.

franckehret_0-1651645656451.png

And the weirdest thing is : if I log on host and reset the management network, it works ! 😁
IP are distributed with DHCP leases (required for PXE)

Witht the exact same setup, I've no issue with vSphere 7.0 images but I need to start with 6.7 to test some migration scenarios.

Any idea where I should start looking ? Thx in advance.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
pashnal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi  

Are you installing ESXI on a virtual machine , if yes then vmxnet3 will be available after VMware tools is loaded and that happens only after the host is booted completely . 

Please try to check if it works for a different network adapter. 

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Solution Provided" "Correct" or "Helpful".

Thanks , 

Pramod Ashnal 

franckehret
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thanks a lot, that was a clever statement, but unfortunately, I just tested with E1000 NIC, it was the exact same issue.

Don't know if it has something to do with the image or if this nested autodeploy with 6.7 was never really tested in vSphere 7.0 environment (the real hosts and vcenter running this nested lab are all to 7 since a while)

If you have any idea, let me know but if you don't, don't worry either! 😉

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

i´m running autodeploy with 6.7 for 2 years without problems - seems to be a problem only in nested virtualization.

because its just a test szenario you can use a workaround: apply a script bundle and restart the management network via this script.

must be an ash-script (/bin/ash)

0 Kudos
franckehret
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Seems so, the productive environnement I will take over is also working (fine) on 6.7 currently.

But I have other ways to try the "migration" in our production.

Thx for the feedback! 😉

0 Kudos