VMware Cloud Community
pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

New space added to a data store not showing as option to expand in vCenter

Hello All

I increased one of our datastores from 13.8TB to 15Tb but when I go to increase the size of the datastore I see the new amount in the "capacity" screen but the option to add the new space does not come up. My SAN is a EMC VNXe 3200 and normally I don't have to do anything because the storage is automatically increased through an API call from the SAN into my vCenter. Any thoughts? I already tried scanning for new datastores and and the HBA

Unable Increase Datastore Capacity.png

Phillip Balderos VCP6-DCV
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dineshgoundar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you login to a host directly (using vSphere client) and check if you are able to expand from there. Look at this KB VMware Knowledge Base

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What version of vCenter and Esxi?

0 Kudos
pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Its ESXi 6.0 for both

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you have esxi host in cluster then Rescan all hosts from vCenter Server.

dekoshal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Try This command on esxi host

vmkfstools --growfs "/vmfs/devices/disks/device:partition" "/vmfs/devices/disks/device:partition"

Note: Replace the device:partition with the Device/LUN ID and partition number in your environment respectively.

If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Correct or Helpful to award points.

Best Regards,

Deepak Koshal

CNE|CLA|CWMA|VCP4|VCP5|CCAH

https://hackhands.com/dkoshal/

pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. I don't often go in the command line but I think I identified the partition number but not doing to well getting the device ID. Could you give me the command to get the device/ LUN ID and partition number.

vmkfstools.png

0 Kudos
pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I rescanned the cluster several times already.

0 Kudos
dineshgoundar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you login to a host directly (using vSphere client) and check if you are able to expand from there. Look at this KB VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Bingo!! Ugh :smileyblush: I should have known better because I had to do the same thing almost a year ago.

0 Kudos