VMware Cloud Community
jamesnb1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Networking in vCenter

Hello everyone,

I am now learning about the Networking in vCenter and would like to ask for your opinion to setup our network properly. And thank you for being patient with me

In our office, we have set up the network infrastructure from Router/Firewall level as following:

1/ Main network: Office users, Servers, Data storage (NAS)

2/ VLAN10: Guests access

3/ VLAN20: IT vendor's access

4/ VLAN30: IOT stuff

5/ VLAN40: CCTV stuff

So, our main network would be where we plan to host 2 ESXi and also, vCenter

Each ESXI host would have between 2-6 Virtual machines, which are all being used for the office's works. One of these VMs would be an VPN gateway in order to allow remote's user access. Our NAS also resides in this main network.

I have watched several instruction video from vmware KB and forum, and I see that they create a Virtual Distributed Switches, then in this VDS, they create a different networks: one for management, one for storage and one for vMotion. Each of these network has its own "VLAN", etc...

So I am comparing this instruction and my network structure to see what I can apply since I have already created our own VLAN... So my questions are below

1/ For the vMotion network, do I need to create a separated VLAN (from the router/firewall level) for it? I understand that the vMotion network is utillized to "move" the VMs between Hosts so it requires large amount of bandwidth but I am unsure if I need to create a separated VLAN for this purpose? As I mentioned, all of our VMs are being used for office works and resides in the same LAN so what's benefits that a separated VLAN could bring to this?

2/ For Management network: Again, this is the same question, should I need a separated VLAN for it? If the ESXi hosts and vCenter are in the main LAN, what's benefit to have a separated network for it? 

3/ For Storage: currently, my NAS is on the main LAN so that those VMs could use it. If I create another VLAN for this NAS, then I would need to join other VMs to this VLAN in order to be able to communicate with this NAS.

Again, thank you for any instruction and advice

0 Kudos
0 Replies