VMware Cloud Community
normchri1920
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Network cards and VMware HA compatibility

Hello,

I'm setting up a cluster between two machines, the machines only have one integrated network card.

To create a cluster you need a redondant network if i don't mistake. So can I add a random pci card to my pc ?

Thanks for your response !

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Madmax01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

yes that is working.

Just only use that 1 vSwitch.  and create also vmotion theire. and attach the Pnic to that vSwitch.

you get then a info message on the overview regarding you're management Redundancy.  if it's disturbing > you could disable it with: How to remove “No Management Network Redundancy” warning on vSphere using das.ig...

Best regards

Max

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Madmax01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

Nop you don't need redundant network.  you get an alert that you're network is not redundant - but if you have vmkernel + management portgroup on same vSwitch and using also HA/DRS  > then  1 Nic is minimum on that vSwitch.   (for Active/Passive you need 2 minimum). Smiley Wink.

But for Productive it's not recommended to have only 1. best is to have  minimum 2 Nic's  connected to different Physical Switches.

Best regards

Max

normchri1920
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So i can create cluster, use HA and vMotion without problem with only 1 ethernet cards ?

It's for a lab test so it won't be in production Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

yes that is working.

Just only use that 1 vSwitch.  and create also vmotion theire. and attach the Pnic to that vSwitch.

you get then a info message on the overview regarding you're management Redundancy.  if it's disturbing > you could disable it with: How to remove “No Management Network Redundancy” warning on vSphere using das.ig...

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos