VMware Cloud Community
RHamaker
Contributor
Contributor

Network Speed Issues

Guys and Gals, I am not sure if i am posting this in the right department here or not, heck i might need to post on a cisco forum but here it goes.  I have 4 ESXI hosts that each have 4x 10gb connections on them.  These connections go back to a Cisco Nexus 5508 switch where the ports are setup as trunks.  The 4 connections on the server are setup in a distributed switch where i have my VLAN's configured and all of that seems to be working fine.  My storage controller has a similar setup, 2x 10gb ports that are trunked back to the Nexus (same switch as ESX) and it is using hybrid SSD and 10k drives.  Looking just at the numbers my network between the hosts and the storage should be smoking fast, but it isn't.  I have been trying, without success, for 3 days now to create a new pool in Horizon View and it keeps timing out with the operation took longer blah blah blah error and i see in vcenter that the process in creating the replica is taking about an hour and a half.  The original disk it is replicating is about 50gb and given the amount of bandwidth i have allocated to this, the process should take >10 mins.  I am banging my head against a wall trying to track this down and don't know where to even start looking.  Is it a vcenter setting a horizon setting or a misconfigured switch along the way?  I might add we are using a 3560 L3 switch as a gateway and vlan router, so my first thought is maybe for some reason the traffic is leaving the 10g switch and visiting the 1g switch for a quickie then being sent back home where it came from to be directed out another port.  I have checked and my nexus is setup for jumbo frames, my 1g switch is not, but the jumbo traffic shouldn't ever cross over there. 

I will take any help you guys could give and will provide any logs you need as well, just let me know.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WhiskyTangoFoxt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you provide a network diagram of your setup? I think visually. From what you've explained it would seem that the 3560 is routing between the storage VLAN and others? Or how is the storage connected? Are you using FCOE, ISCSI, or NFS? When this is happening try monitoring the ports on the nexus and the 3560. Then you've see if the 3560 is routing storage packets. If that is the case, I don't think the frame buffers on the 3560 are sufficient for storage traffic. Do you only have 1x 10G connection per host?

0 Kudos
mohdhanifk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you provide information about the infrastructure configured for vSphere i,e connection between ESXi and Storage, storage type, storage policy ..etc

0 Kudos