VMware Cloud Community
Jock8186
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

NetApp VSC v6.1 UI missing from Web Client v6.0u1

I recently upgraded my vCenter 5.5 server to v6.0u1 (Windows 2k12r2 with SLQ 2012 backend). With that I installed a fresh instance of NetApp Virtual Storage Console v6.1. All was working perfect until I restarted the vCenter after around 2 weeks of running the new versions. After the restart the NetApp VSC gui and functionalities were missing completely from the web client. The plugin still showed as enabled within the webclient however no gui existed. Bizarrely when I try to disable the plugin from the web client, it refreshes and just remains set as enabled.

Within the fat client, the icon was still present, however with the new version (6.1), no functionality can be achieved through this and you are just re-directed to the VMware Web Client. The backups were still running at the scheduled time, even although the plugin was not visible within the Web Client.

I have tried the following:

Re-Registering the plugin

- Stopping VC webclient services, stripping out all traces of com.netapp* from the VMware folder directory's (program files & program data). Mainly located in the vSphere-Client-Serentiy folder

- Starting VC web client services

-  Re-registering VSC with VC

Complete Re-Install

- Stopping VC services

- Stripping out all traces of com.netapp* from the VMware folder directory's (program files & program data)

- Stopping VSC services

- Do a complete uninstall

- Delete installation directory of VSC

- Reboot of VSC Server to remove reg keys

- Install fresh copy of VSC 6.1

- Re-Register with VC Server

The same issue is being observed. The plugin shows as being installed. The "com.netapp.nvpf.weblient" extension exists within the https://<vCenter>/mob. (see attached screenshot). The thick client still shows the plugin as enabled, as does the web client. I'm still unable to see the UI via the web client despite the plugin being enabled and installed.

Tearing my hair out with this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

unnamed.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jock8186
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Guys,

An update on this issue, hope it helps to resolve any else having similar problems and looking in....

After 4months our case eventually made its way to the web client development team in VMware. The issue was identified as a corrupted file within vCenter which is responsible for holding the "enabled/disabled" status of web client plugins. Fix as follows:

"C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\data\vSphere Web Client\SerenityDB\serenity\ALL\client.package.states"

The solution was:-

• Delete the file
  • Open vcentre, administration, client plugins
  • Disable a random plugin (This forces the state file to be recreated)
  • Exit vcentre and then re-open
  • Plugins should now be visible
  • Goto client plugins and re-enable the one that was disabled earlier

Good Luck Guys, this one was a serious pain in the ass Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
actyler555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am experiencing the same issue with VSC v6.1 and the vCenter Appliance version 5.5 3255668.  Did you end up coming up with a fix?  Looks like this was posted back in October.

0 Kudos
Jock8186
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

‌Unfortunately no, this hasn't been resolved. Interestingly through, our update manager plugin has also started to experience the same issues (UI unavailable in the web client but showing as enabled). We can however still utilise VUM via the c# client.

The VSC i& VUM issues arenow escalated to senior engineering levels within VMware & Netapp but after many webex' and log uploads I don't get the impression they are making much progress. It's very frustrating as our major projects which rely on a sphere 6 upgrade are being held up by this.

Please keep me updated with any progress you make and I will do the same.

0 Kudos
MJSemperFi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We've also been seeing this issue on some of our attempted VSC 6.1 installations as well.  We're alternating between a different issue (where it does install successfully and appear in the WebClient...but a Java error appears anytime you click on or try to use the VSC) and this issue where the install does not cause the VSC icons to appear AT ALL within the WebClient.  We're working with NetApp to try and resolve...but don't have any resolutions right now.

-> Using a windows vCenter (6.0.0U1a)

-> Windows vCenter & VSC 6.1 both installed/running on OEM (non-hardened or locked down, patched, etc.) Windows 2012 Server R2 OS

0 Kudos
Jock8186
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Guys,

An update on this issue, hope it helps to resolve any else having similar problems and looking in....

After 4months our case eventually made its way to the web client development team in VMware. The issue was identified as a corrupted file within vCenter which is responsible for holding the "enabled/disabled" status of web client plugins. Fix as follows:

"C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\data\vSphere Web Client\SerenityDB\serenity\ALL\client.package.states"

The solution was:-

• Delete the file
  • Open vcentre, administration, client plugins
  • Disable a random plugin (This forces the state file to be recreated)
  • Exit vcentre and then re-open
  • Plugins should now be visible
  • Goto client plugins and re-enable the one that was disabled earlier

Good Luck Guys, this one was a serious pain in the ass Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
JCCHAMPION
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The issue seems to be the VSC service (Virtual Storage Console for VMware vSphere Server - NVPF) doesn’t start after a reboot.  It is set to [Automatic] but it attempts to start before the necessary vCenter services are running and gives up. This explains why it would work after installation but after a reboot it'd stop and throw the fault error.  I manually started the VSC service then opened a new web client session and experienced no errors when accessing the VSC summary page.

The fix I used to handle the reboot was to add a service dependency to the VSC service.  I chose the vSphere Web Client service which is one of the last vCenter services to start. 

Open a PowerShell window using ‘Run As Administrator’ then enter the following command:

& sc.exe config NVPF depend= vspherewebclientsvc

Note there is a <SPACE> after the equal sign.

I have rebuilt and rebooted the vCenter multiple times and it has worked every time.  Also, I tested on Windows 2012 R2, Windows 2012, and Windows 2008 R2 - all showed the same issue.

0 Kudos
MJSemperFi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks JCCHAMPION, nice catch!!  This fix seems to work for us.  As soon as you add the service dependency (and reboot the vCenter PC or VM)...the VSC immediately appeared within the webclient.  Thanks again....

0 Kudos