VMware Cloud Community
mlyon3M
Contributor
Contributor

Need to setup HA and I have some questions.

Hello,

Although I have worked with VMWare for a few years now, unfortunately I have not setup a VMWare environment from scratch. Nor have I had any formal training, but here I find myself managing a small environment of different systems. We have version 5.0. 5.5, and 6.0 hosts. We have some SAN's, some local storage, the servers are on different LAN's, it's a real hodge podge. I have a vcenter 5 essentials and a vcenter 6 standard. It's about 20 hosts and 2 vcenters in total. I am trying to get this all organized. So far I have upgraded a lot of the 5.0 servers to 5.5, but the limitations of storage and this being an active network have me a little stuck.

One of my major concerns is that there is no HA network setup. I would like to be able to migrate servers in vcenter, but cannot. Is there some clear documentation on how to set this up? I know I need a separate LAN to keep traffic off of my main network. So I have a couple of switches and i am starting to get that setup, but I am unsure how to setup the nic's in vmware for this. Any instruction would be appreciated! Thank you in advance. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please go through the below pages to get more information about vCenter high availability and supported High Availability Options for different vcenter versions.

vCenter High Availability

https://ikb.vmware.com/contactcenter/php/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1024051_draft...

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
vasan22in
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello lyon3M,

Refer the below documents for VMware HA configuration,

http://www.mustbegeek.com/configure-vmware-vsphere-ha-in-vsphere-5-5/ ..

Configuring vSphere HA Cluster Settings in the vSphere Web Client

vSphere Documentation Center

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Thanks, Srini
0 Kudos
virtualquebeccg
Contributor
Contributor

you should start a new design from scratch, and make a transition plan.

0 Kudos
mlyon3M
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your assistance everyone!

0 Kudos