VMware Cloud Community
HakeemMB
Contributor
Contributor

Need to recreate a new 6.7 vCSA and have some questions

Hello all,

I broke one of my 6.7 vCSA while trying to link it to our B-side of the same style/build and I was instructed by support to create a new vCSA because there was no backup done before, ideally I'd like to use the same vCSA license, DNS name and IP. I'm weighing the idea of deleting my old vcenter server VM outright then creating the new vcenter server using the same FQDN/DNS entries/IP/naming conventions. Is there any risk to consider in doing this? 

Also when the new vCSA is made ideally id link it to the B-side in the creation process and attach the A-sides hosts in a new datacenter tree under that vCSA would I need to recreate the configurations to networking or would the hosts inherit their old configuration when they are joined to the new vCSA?

Thanks in advance 

mHB

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
pashnal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Good Day !! , 

I see that your vCSA-A was a standalone vCenter and was not connected to any other vCenter , If its broken then i would recommend you to join your vCSA-A to B during the installation by selecting "Join to existing SSO " once done you will have to add the hosts . 

Second Question : If you only had standard switch in vCSA - A then once you connect your hosts back you will have your networking intack , But if you had dVS then you will have to recreate it again . 

Hope this helps!! please mark it as solution provided if it has helped and press Kudos !. 

Thanks , 

Pashnal 

HakeemMB
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Pashnal, I ended up powering down my old vCSA and using the same info to create a new one and it worked without issue, I did the Join to existing SSO option in the setup and it worked. There were only standard switches so the networking ended up being fine too. Alot of worry for nothing! 

The only odd thing is I did that on Friday and this morning I came in and they no longer show as linked and have a banner that reads "Login failed due to invalid credentials for one or more vCenter Server systems:https://(otherFQNS.domain.ca:443/sdk" Ill look into sorting that out today too 

But thankyou for assuring the steps taken were proper! 

0 Kudos
pashnal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Hakeem , 

Try logging in using administrator@vsphere.local : If you see the same error then you may have some issues with VMDIR DB sync issues . 

If  you are able to see both the vCenter with admin login and you have issues only with AD login then Please remove and add the Identity Provider  by referring to below screen shot .

pashnal_0-1651495921808.png

Thanks , 

Pashnal 

HakeemMB
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Pashnal, 

I dont have any Identity Providers on these particular vCenters, no LDAP or ADs added. I do get the same banner error on both vCenters so it does sound as you suggest like a VMDIR DB sync issue. I will investigate down this route thankyou 🙂 

mHB

0 Kudos