VMware Cloud Community
jamesnb1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Need adivce how to best config multiple NICs with different speed

Hi there,

I need your advices how to choose between either Virtual Standard Switch or Virtual Distributed Switch in my scenario below

My Dell server has total of 4 ethernet ports:

vmnic0: 1Gb

vmnic1 : 1Gb

vmnic2: 10Gb

vmnic3: 10Gb

I run total of 5 different VMs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

VM1 and VM2: Not need speed

VM3,VM4,VM5: Need speed

Currently, I setup the Virtual Standard switch in the ESXi host and created 2 different Virtual Switches (vSwitch)

- vSwitch10: 10Gb - Assigned Uplinks: vmnic 2,vmnic3 (for redundancy purpose)

- vSwitch1: 1Gb - Assigned Uplinks: vmnic 0, vmnic 1 (for redundancy purpose)

Then I created the 4 Port Groups, each with the purpose below

- IOT: VLAN 10, for IOT devices and VMs (such as Home Assistant): assigned Virtual Switch: vSwitch1 (slower ones, 2 x 1Gb each)

- I assign this group to VM1 and VM2

- Guests_Network: VLAN 20, for guests' mobile devices and computers: assigned Virtual Switch: vSwitch1 

- I assigned this group to VM3

- Management: LAN, for managing the ESXi host and vCenter, assigned Virtual Switch: vSwitch10 (faster ones, 2 x 10Gb each)

- This is the ESXi host (the server) and vCenter

- Local_Network: VLAN 30, for local mobile devices (phones, tablets), assigned vSwitch1

- I assigned this group to VM4, VM5

Is the setup I have above with Virtual Standard Switch best for my need or, should I change it to VDS?

And, finally, what are the difference between the "VMkernel NICs" (which I currenly has just one: vmk0) and "Port Groups" (which currenly I have 4 above)

Thank you again for your helps

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

vDS has a centralised control plane, with only a single host you won't get that benefit.

vDS has additional functions, it doesn't sound like you're using any.

VMkernel NICs are for ESXi functions such as management, migration, storage access. VM Port Groups are for VMs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog