VMware Cloud Community
WillieSurvive
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nearly empty "Hardware Status" tab

Hi guys,

I'm running ESXi & vCenter 6.5 in my lab on a couple of Supermicro X9SCL boards. Almost everything seems to be working just fine except for the "Hardware Status" screens in both the web & HTML5 clients. In the web client I can only see one item, "Other" which shows me all the physical sensors. I don't even see "Other" in the HTML5 client. None of the other sensors are populated or displaying anything.

All the sensors were reporting properly in 6.0. Any ideas where to start looking?

-Will

5 Replies
Bill_Oyler
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have the exact same issue with vCenter 6.5 (VCSA 6.5).  In fact, I have (3) vCenter 6.5 instances, 3 ESXi clusters, and 7 ESXi hosts (mix of Dell and Cisco UCS) and all of them are showing "No host data available" in the "Hardware Status" tab on the Web (Flash) Client.  In the HTML5 vSphere Client, I see "No records to display."

The only work-around I've been able to find is to log in to each ESXi host individually, using the HTML5 Host Client, click on Monitor: Hardware: Sensors, and I am seeing all of the sensors and their health.  Obviously this isn't a very practical or good work-around.  I suspect this is a bug in vCenter 6.5.  A similar bug existed in vCenter 6.0 and was supposedly fixed in 6.0U2a which came out recently.  Maybe there will be an upcoming bug fix for VCSA 6.5 to fix this bug.

Bill

Bill Oyler Systems Engineer
0 Kudos
WillieSurvive
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Bill,

Yeah, I can see the same sensors in the host client that I see in the vcenter web client. I can also see my RAID card reporting in Monitor -> Hardware -> Storage which should be reported in the web client.

-Will

0 Kudos
PhyreMe
Contributor
Contributor

SSH into your system logging in as ‘root’ with your administrator password.

You can check the status with ‘esxcli system wbem get’ and you’ll notice that enabled is ‘false’ by default.

Enable wbem by using esxcli system wbem set -e 1. Wait for a couple of minutes [I found it took about 15 before it showed], and then update the Hardware Health Status tab.

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/vmware-esxi-6.5.x_Release%20Notes_en-us.pdf

I also did this which helped on a host where the first did not

"No host data available" error in the Hardware Status tab after upgrading to vCenter Server 6.5 (214...

pvries
Contributor
Contributor

I have a new environment, green field installation of vSphere6.5 on HPE blade c460 gen9 (on the HW compatibility list).

2sites, 2PSC, 2VCSA, 12 hosts and I have the same problem in both sites.

I ran the command on all my 6.5 hosts (installed with the HPE custom ISO from 11/18/2016 and updated with VUM to 6.5d)

Authorization Model: password

Enabled: true

Loglevel: warning

Port: 5989

WSManagement Service: true

So it seems to be enabled on my hosts. Then I tried the second method in unregistering the service in the new VCSA6.5d but this cis.vws.servicename does not even exists in both my VCSA's!

What can I do?

this environment is supposed to go in production but I can't without the HW monitoring.

This is kind of a (very) big bummer which I did not expect from VMware.

0 Kudos
kbiradar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is known issue in 6.5 release

Here is KB article for the same

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2151238

And hoping to be resolved in upcoming release

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful