VMware Cloud Community
MarioCharest
Contributor
Contributor

NFS data store inaccessible after host power cycle

Hello playing around with eval of vcenter and ESX,

- vcenter 7
- ESX host 7U3
- Cluster with 2 hosts all sharing an NFS data store.
- DRS on but no HA.

Turn off all VMs on one host, put that host in maintenance mode, which moved all the VM to the other host. Reboot it. Exit Maintenance mode.  vcenter now shows a new datastore with the name of the original one but suffixed "(1) (inaccessible)". On the host web client I can see the data store but accessing it result in an error.  Through ssh the datastore is NOT visible under /vmfs/volumes, so it did not get mounted.  Try esxcfg-nas -r no change.   esxcfs-nas -l says:

nfs-datastore-fast is /storage/VCenter from 10.1.37.1 unmounted unavailable

But it is available ! 

I notice the help on esx-cfs says that -r is for NFS version 3 but we are using 4.1 so I guess it won't do any good here.  If I reboot a host that is NOT on the cluster but connected to the same nfs datastore it's all good.   So I'm guessing this is related to vcenter and not ESX, hence by post here 

I try the same procedure without going through Maintenance mode, same issue. I try disconnecting the host from vcenter.  Still no good. Only solution is to go on the host itself, delete the nfs datastore, after disabling swap. Next, in vcenter remount the nfs datastore.  

That makes this setup incredible sensitive to power failure. One would have to basically deleting and remounting the data store on every hosts, that can't be right?

Any suggestion.

Happy new year.

- Mario

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Meta4X
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this exact same problem.  Did you ever find a fix?

0 Kudos