VMware Cloud Community
minor22
Contributor
Contributor

Moving host and VMs from one vCenter to another

I'm trying to move 3 host in a development cluster along with a half dozen VMs to a production cluster.  Currently we have 2 separate vCenter instances managing there own Datacenters 1 being Production and 1 being development In separate subnets.  The switching on both is a standard switching no vDS.  My plan was to create a new cluster in production, and move 1 host from the dev cluster to prod by moving off all VMs changing the management address to the prod subnet and add that host to the new cluster.  At that point I would power down a VM and export it to an .ovf and import the .ovf on the host in the other vCenter.  Im not sure what else might need to be done, considering most information out there is referencing moving from vCenter to another but in the same instance.  My question is my approach correct and is there a better method?  Also shared storage, I'm assuming I should create new LUNs?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vmEck
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you're moving the hosts and VMs then just power down the VMs, move the host networking over, login to each host's DCUI and change the IP settings. Connect it to vCenter and change the rest of the VSS networks, then change the VM networks and boot the VMs.

No need to export the VMs unless I've misunderstood something.

0 Kudos