VMware Cloud Community
jeffj2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Moving from v7 U3c to U3e

We are in an ELM configuration and just want to see if anyone has had any issues before we do this. We always patch through the VAMI. We have daily VAMI backups and will do powerOFF snaps of all 4 appliances before we start. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
albatros99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

no problem by us! very easy over port 5480, then updates

cg

0 Kudos
jeffj2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you. Ever since I got bit by the dual-driver issue in U3 I get nervous of all U3 updates, VCSA7 or ESXi. We are in ELM too so I get doubly nervous. 

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

In ELM you have to turn off both vcenters and take cold snapshots.
Then run the update from VAMI.

regards,

Alex_Romeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
jeffj2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have 4 VCSA7 in ELM and yes we powerOFF all 4 appliances and snap and then powerON and do the upgrade through VAMI one at a time. I just always check any issues because U3 didn't start with a stellar record. Thank you.

0 Kudos
mbufkin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We had no issues moving to update 3e. We take daily backups of the vcsa with the internal backup plus we snapshot powered off before we upgrade. Then update the hosts. We did get bit on the last update that was recalled. 

0 Kudos
Anil0210
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello @jeffj2000 ,

Just to clarify few points.

- As part of VCSA upgrade via vami ui or cli you will encounter warnings. Based on whether you have dual driver problem in your host there will be an automatic scan and VCSA upgrade pre-check will catch that and notify you. So no need to worry as VCSA upgrade itself will highlight dual driver related problems. 

- If your ESX are not impacted with dual driver, second time precheck will allow VCSA upgrade.

~Anil

0 Kudos
jeffj2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi. We got through the dual-driver check already when we went from U2 to U3c. We actually had the affected I40en drivers, but since we used the Dell image they had not been renamed. Thankfully.