VMware Cloud Community
vmware851
Contributor
Contributor

Moving Hosts Cluster from old vCenter to new vCenter

I want to move all the Hosts which are part of a cluster, from an old vCenter 6.7 (Windows installation of vcenter) to a new vCenter 7.0 (Appliance).

On my source vcenter, I have a simple cluster HA defined, and no other special configurations.  No distributed switch, no vSAN

I want to move without any interrupts of running host and VM

I have the procedure to move standalone hosts to new vCenter, I have already move other standalone hosts from old vcenter to new one and everything's ok.  But I'm not sure if the same procedure can do the same with a Cluster.

Thank you
0 Kudos
2 Replies
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes. You can move the cluster nodes like single hosts. You should disable HA and DRS before. Then you can add the hosts to the new vCenter. You will see that on the old vCenter the hosts will be disconnected automatically becaus vpxa of the host will no start talking to the vpxd of the new vCenter. After you migrated both hosts you can create a new cluster with same setting and add the hosts one by one. After you added the hosts you can enable HA and DRS.

Regards Daniel

If this help, please kudo and mark as solution. Thanks!

0 Kudos
kauppahuone
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone know what might be changed with vCenter version 7.0.u3c ?

Before upgrade we were able to move a single ESXi 6.7 host to VxRail 7.0.241 Cluster (to do virtual machine migration)

Now with the version .320 (vCenter in version 7.0.U3...), ESXi 6,7 host is not able to join to Cluster.

Apologies if the question is out of topic here...

0 Kudos