VMware Cloud Community
fborges555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Moving ESXi host between Vcenters

HI gurus

I am trying to remove a esxi host from one Vcenter and added to another Vcenter but when adding this host to the new Vcenter I get the following Lics error. How do I fix this?

"The selected license is part of the inventory of another vCenter Server system. Assigning this license will make it part of the inventories of multiple vCenter Server systems resulting in a non-compliant licensing configuration."

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
niyijr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Will the old vCenter still be in use? 

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

N.

Yes, I just want to take an ESXi host from one Vcenter  and move it o another vcenter that need more resources

Thanks for jumping in

0 Kudos
niyijr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Okay.

From what I understand, that message is a compliance warning so you don't use the same license key in two vCenter server environments.

I believe you will need to remove the license in question from the old vCenter server to restore compliance.

Cheers

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks a bunch

0 Kudos
niyijr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You're welcome. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers

Commander
Commander

Hi,

It's a normal warning that wants to remind you: Don't forget to remove the license and never migrate it beside the ESXi host because your vSphere licenses are part of critical assets of the current vSphere infrastructure. BTW please review the following link:

How to move a host from one vCenter to another

Good Luck

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos