VMware Cloud Community
Andrew800
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Move a template or VM 'model' to another host?

I created a W2K8R2 VM and it took all day to run updates and build what is basically a model which will be used to deploy several other VMs where only a few may have different specs than the original.  What is the most efficient (fastest) way to make this VM portable to another host that is not part of this vCenter instance?  In other words, I have another host to be built which will also run ESXi (and perhaps only a trial of vCenter Appliance as is on the current host), which will be set up at a different site.  The VMs on that host will share the same specs (or similar) as the model VM and I'd rather not spend all day building even one server if it's faster to just export a template of the "model" to the other host and deploy VMs from that, or, export the VM itself and bring it over to the other host to clone to a template.  What's the best way of doing this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

You could export the VM to an OVF Template. You can then move this file around and import it where needed.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Andrew800
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How is that done?

0 Kudos