VMware Cloud Community
vmsuddenly15
Contributor
Contributor

Move VCSA 6.5u1 with external PSC to new cluster

Due to system expansion, I need to move VCSA 6.5u1 (standard vswitch) with external PSC to a new cluster in the same datacenter. I've searched the KBs but I do not find the procedure with external included. We have Enterprise Plus licensing. I have thought about storage/compute vmotion, but need to know what the PSC migration sequence would be and possible impacts. Move PSC via storage/compute migration first, then vCenter?

A second consideration is that due to company change, the SSO domain will need to change as well. That leads me to consider deleting this VCSA and installing a new one with current patching, but I need to keep the existing license. VSCA installed without FQDN, IP only, and we need to retain the IP as well. Everything remains in the same subnets.

Options

1. vMotion system to new cluster (need sequencing), change SSO domain afterwards in PSC, and patch system.

2. Delete old PSC and vCenter (powering down vCenter then PSC), install updated vCenter on new cluster, place old license on new system (from what I've seen, I should be able to place the old license in the new and Use Key).... This also gives the option of going with an embedded PSC as this is not a large system with many users.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

For process #1 a migration of the PSC and vCenter are fine to both a new computer cluster and datastore. These VMs are not treated any differently from others. For process #2 just power off both and delete. You cannot change an SSO domain once it exists. Also, be aware that you *must* use proper fully-qualified names and DNS records to successfully deploy vCenter to avoid issues down the line.

0 Kudos