VMware Cloud Community
jrewing20111014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Monitoring VCSA Health Status

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to request the VCSA Health Status (CPU / RAM /DISK / DB) for monitoring purposes.

I'm playing with the REST API but it seems to be difficult to implement this in our monitoring solution. Another approach could be SNMP but I did not found any suitable OIDs for above values.

I also tried to monitor the VCSA as a plain linux system but some values are not available like CPU load (why ever).

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
stefansevastre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hello,

if is possible to use another VMware products, you can try vrealize operations, there are some monitoring options for vCenter. 

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

I am monitoring health status VCSA with Restapi. 

Should be not problematic to implement. What is your vCenter version and build type?

0 Kudos
jrewing20111014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Version: 7.0.3.01000
Build-Nummer: 20395099

I played with Postman and got the values I need but the issue I'm facing is the need that I have to request the api key from the client side (e.g. monitoring solution) first.

Even when I request the api key with Postman and add it to the monitoriing solution manually I have to re-add it in the case there will be no requests within the lifetime of the key (5min?). I can imagine many circumstances where this could happen.

How do you solve this?

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Check these videos. Guys explaining it really cool:

maksym007_0-1669638749799.png

0 Kudos
jrewing20111014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you, but this video doesn't solve my problem either.

I get the values I want and it also works with our monitoring system. But as soon as no requests were made with the session-id for a few minutes the session-id becomes invalid.

Because I haven't found a way to request a new session-id by the monitoring system itself the only way is to request a new one manually an add it to the monitoring system - not convinient.

0 Kudos