VMware Cloud Community
grappl
Contributor
Contributor

Migration problems Windows Vcenter SQL Permissions e.c.t

Hi to all community from Greece.

a Small history.

We already have an environment which include=

VCenter version 6 on Windows server 2008 r2 and SQL 2008 R2. with Local Active Directory.

7 Esxi host attached with hug number of VM and permissions!

The new plan is to migrate this environment to

Windows 2012 R2

Sql 2014 (Sp1) which support Vcenter 6

Same Vcenter 6 (we don't need to migrate to VCSA or Vcenter 6.5) , we need to keep the same version that we already have with same database entry.

Could anyone help me with step by step migration of (SQL) process in order to complete this scenario with no problems.

I suppose that the problem is the SQL migration!!

Till know i have already done some tries with

1)installation Windows 2012 R2,

2)Join to domain

3)Installation of SQL 2014

4)Restore the old SQL entry (VCDB)

5)Installation of latest version of Vcenter V6

Results:

The environment is up and displayed but no SSL certifications  transferred and no permission or users faced..

Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Hello!

It's not clear

1. Are VC and MS SQL installed on the same host? or these are separate hosts?

2. Do you use VC with embeded PSC or external?

Just to move vcenter database use KB VMware Knowledge Base

However it's not possible just reinstall VC with embeded PSC using the same database.

Because SSL certs, permissions and licenses are stored in PSC's ldap database.

0 Kudos
grappl
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Finikiez,

Thanks for your answer.

VC and MS SQL are already installed in the same windows 2008 r2 server (Virtual machine) same host.

We use VC with embedded PSC.

I don't think so that the problem is on new OS (windows 2012 server r2) or VCenter 6 installation.

The problem is the compatibility issues between sql 2008 and sql 2014.

this is the reason that i ask for step by step migration procedure of SQL instances (2008 --> 2014).

We make a backup and restore the VCDB database and change the compatibility to SQL 2014 but seams there is not so simple.

''However it's not possible just reinstall VC with embeded PSC using the same database.

Because SSL certs, permissions and licenses are stored in PSC's ldap database.''

You have right but what will be the process if Vcenter server system destroyed or lost  from inventory and it need to reinstall it by scratch, with only element the database?

0 Kudos
grappl
Contributor
Contributor

In additional i would like to inform you that permissions-rules ofr VC located on VCDB (vcenter database) on Tables-dbo.VPX_Access. The SSO user and Certificates located on Vcenter windows program data folder.

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

You are right and this was valid until 6.0. With vsphere 6.0 PSC component has been released.

PSC stores SSL certs, permissions and licenses separately.

You can read about permissions here VMware Knowledge Base

So the problem that you can just install a fresh VC with embeded PSC, point it to an old VC database and expect that you will get everything as it was.

There are some steps how to backup and restore PSC ldap database, but it's only possible to restore it to the same machine. Not to a new one.

You can try to install the second external PSC, repoint vcenter server to external PSC and then try to reinstall VC with the same database on a new machine with the same FQDN and IP address.

Hoewever this looks tricky and my question is - why don't you want to migrate to VCSA? With VCSA you won't have such problem upgrading OS and DB.

Also vSphere 6.7 is the latest release where you can install vcenter on windows machine. Next major release won't have VC on windows.

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Due to the error I can't edit my reply.

The correct statement is

So the problem that you _can't_ just install a fresh VC with embeded PSC, point it to an old VC database and expect that you will get everything as it was.

0 Kudos
grappl
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again for your effort,

I know that the better solution is to upgrade the system to VCSA 6,5 but this time it is impossible. Many of our colleagues even now use vshere client in order to have access to their machine list (via permissions). They don't use web vsphere client.

Until then i need to update the environment to newest OS in order to avoid any problem of old OS.

Could you please inform me how to backup the existing vcenter server PSC?

Then i try to restore this to new machine.

In this time i would like to inform you that the test is carried out to a new machine with complete same credentials as old . FQDN, IPs, SQL user, AD. So i believe i don;t have any compatibility problem.

So we need to follow to separate steps.

1)Migrate SQL from 2008 to 2014 (Backup and restore SQL )

2)Migrate Vcenter from 2008 to 2012R2 (Backup and restore SSO ,SSL e.c.t)

i can't believe that if we have backup the SQL database of a Vcenter  Server (windows based) we can't rebuild the Vcenter (same version not upgraded) to a new system as the old one.
So there is no any reason to keep backup database of Vcenter. If we lost it we need to make new one by scratch!!! Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Could you please inform me how to backup the existing vcenter server PSC?

Then i try to restore this to new machine.

Sorry, my fault. This was possible with SSO 5.5   VMware Knowledge Base

But I can't find now something similar for 6.0

General statements about backup are here VMware Knowledge Base

In several words - the only supported way to backup VC and PSC - backup them as virtual machines using VDP or any other backup solutions.

As I wrote I think the best way is to try with repointing to external PSC and then reinstalling VC only. This can help to keep PSC data.

The process is described here Reconfigure a Standalone vCenter Server with an Embedded Platform Services Controller to a vCenter S...

And some additional KBs you shoul be aware of during this process VMware Knowledge Base  , VMware Knowledge Base

i can't believe that if we have backup the SQL database of a Vcenter  Server (windows based) we can't rebuild the Vcenter (same version not upgraded) to a new system as the old one.

So there is no any reason to keep backup database of Vcenter. If we lost it we need to make new one by scratch!!!

Just backup VC as a whole virtual machine

0 Kudos
dstamen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Needing to use the c# client is a terrible reason to not upgrade to VCSA. please see Farewell, vCenter Server for Windows - VMware vSphere Blog

6.5 deprecated the C# client as well and wont work on windows or VCSA. you SHOULD be moving to VCSA on 6.5 or 6.7, any performance and feature enhancements in 6.5 and 6.7 are on the VCSA only.

0 Kudos
grappl
Contributor
Contributor

I already know this dstamen1 and thanks for your attention.

But believe me this time is not possible to upgrade this environment to VCSA .

For sure this will be done soon but not now.

Now i need to upgrade windows and sql OS and if it is possible don't loose any old Vcenter 6 settings.

0 Kudos
grappl
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all

Any help for this issue?

A small history.

I have a vcenter 6 with embedded PSC installed on Windows server 2008 R2 and DB on SQL 2008. All these at the same VM. This system works perfect.

But I need to install new Windows server 2012 R2 with SQL 2014 Sp1 and migrate all my DATA (Vcenter ans SQL as it is)

i had already install windows server 2012 with same credentials and ips as old one. i have install and restore SQL from Backup . I had create DSN same as old and the test completed successfully.

I install new vcenter 6 and attache the sql VCDB.

Results: All environment is unlicensed (this is physiological because i don;t know how to migrate SSL from a machine to other one ). I found all environment but as disconnected. The major problem is that when i connect Active directory i can't find any Roles or Permissions that i had create to old Vcenter.

Thanks in advance for your help.

This time i don't want to migrate old machine to VCSA 6.5 for other reasons. 

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, but you're just going to have to change how you work. This is one of the inevitable consequences of life and technology. You can't backup a vCenter and SQL state a re-deploy the appliance on all new operating systems preserving that state. This just isn't how the Windows version worked. As David pointed out, choosing to stay with 6.0 because users can continue to use the legacy, crippled C# is a terrible reason to remain indeed. Migrate your vCenter instance to the vCSA on version 6.5 and deploy the Fling appliance so your users can use the HTML5-based client. Times change, technology changes, so must our processes.

0 Kudos
grappl
Contributor
Contributor

Hi daphnissov

Thanks for your answer and respect your opinion. You have right! The most easy and stable way is to upgrade my system to VCSA 6.5.

What about the joy of creation? What about the understanding for alternative needs per department? Why we could not find a separate solution and not the straight?

I suppose this community created in order to solve any issues of any department if this feasible.

Thanks again ..

0 Kudos