VMware Cloud Community
AsrarGuna1
Contributor
Contributor

Migration from Windows vCenter 5.5 U3 to VCSA 6.5.0d Fails

Hi All,

Migration from Windows vCenter 5.5 U3 to VCSA 6.5.0d Fails.

Source vCenter: 5.5 U3, windows 2008R2, Embedded SSO, External DB MS SQL.

Destination: VCSA 6.5.0d (Build 5318154) with Embedded PSC.

I run the migration assistant on source vcenter server and it says waiting for migration to start. Run migration wizard from another server which is in the same subnet as source vcenter.

Stage 1: Successfully deployed VCSA 6.5

Stage 2: Copying data and perfromance metrics from source vCenter Fails.

It reaches 41% and times out with error: "The VMware vCenter database export process took more than the expected 81 minutes. To continue you must either wait more time or check the log files." Press Yes to continue or no to cancel.

I press yes to continue and this error comes up 3 times and then the final error pops up saying,"Error setting network. Error running /sbin/ifup command, return code 1. Unable to set network parameters. Failed to set network."

Has anyone come across this issue or can someone please guide me how to fix this, please?

Thank You - AG

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AsrarGuna1
Contributor
Contributor

I disabled IPv6 on Windows. Once VCSA got deployed, I disabled IPV6 there as well and then started the migration - Copying data from windows vcenter to vcsa. Everything went fine till it said shutting down source vcenter server. Source vcenter shuts down and error pops up on the screen from where i was running migration wizard:

Error setting network. Details: 21/05/2017 [Error] Error running /sbin/ifup command. return code: 1 Unable to set the network parameters. Failed to set network.

At this time source windows vcenter shuts down.

Any idea where the issue is?

0 Kudos
LokeshHK
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This could be a DNS issue.

May be failed to get temporary IP  make sure temporary IP does get assigned.

Alternatively you can try with different DNS server.

0 Kudos
AsrarGuna1
Contributor
Contributor

I made the dns entry for the temp ip (both in fwd and reverse lookup) before the migration. Once the vcsa appliance gets deployed, i can ping the hostname of vcsa.

0 Kudos