VMware Cloud Community
ITVisionIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migration Path assistance - two vCenter environments

Hello,

After having some recent guest OS issues for one of my vCenter servers I am considering migrating to vCenter 6.5 appliance based version.

I am looking for some information on the best path forward for my particular situation.  I currently have two vCenter environments.  One is running 5.5 in linked mode and I have another vCenter 6.0 server vwith an external PSC for my View Environment.  These a

A break down of the two environments:

A quick breakdown of my environment.  I have 4 windows based vCenter 5.5 servers running in linked-mode with external SQL servers for the databases.  In additional, I have a single Windows based vCenter 6.0 server with an external PSC server for my Horizon View environment.  The reason for the 6.0 environment was to eventually get the 5.5 stuff upgraded to 6.0 and relink everything.  This never happened.

I have 1 Windows Based vCenter 6.0.0.18915 server with an external PSC server for my Horizon View environment, no update manager deployed for this vCenter.

My end goal would be to migrate the Windows based vCenter servers to new vCenter 6.5 Appliances with an external PSC so I can still run in Linked-Mode.  If I just focus on the current 6.0 vCenter environment for the time being, I have been reading about migrating from 6.0 Windows based vCenter over to 6.5 appliance.  Where things are unclear for me is, how is the external PSC server migrated and how does that remain external vs embedded? How does this get migrated and how does it remain external vs embedded during a migration process.

Back to my vCenter 5.5 servers.  My initial though is I would need to unlink all the 5.5 vCenter servers prior to migrating them over to a 6.5 appliance.  The area of concern is during the migration, will have the ability to point the 5.5 vCenter servers to the existing 6.5 PCS server during the migration phase or will I need to bring a new PCS appliance online first and then re-link everything once the other 5.5 vCenter servers have been migrated.

I greatly appreciate any clarification on this process and if additional details is needed please let me know.

Thank You

0 Kudos
0 Replies