VMware Cloud Community
adamsage
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating to new servers

First of all, I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the right spot but please move it if it fits better somewhere else.  I'm in the process of implementing new servers in our datacenter and wanted to post here to make sure I have my process correct.  I need to install ESXi 5.1 on 3 new hosts, get the hosts added into our VirtualCenter server, and migrate all the VM's to the new hosts.

I'll start with what we have:

1 VMware VirtualCenter server Version 2.5.0 Build 147633

3 VMware ESX Hosts Version 3.5.0 Build 153875

Equalogic SAN - not changing

Upgrading to:

1 VMware Vcenter server (use old VirtualCenter server if possible)

3 VMware ESXi Hosts Version 5.1

Question 1 - Can I use the existing VirtualCenter server and add the new hosts to that, or do I need to install a new VCenter server?

Question 2 - Can I Vmotion the VM's from the old hosts to the new ones?  If not, can I simply import the VMware files on the new hosts?

Question 3 - I know there is backward compatibility issues, but moving forward so many versions also concerns me.  Will the VM's run on the new hosts?

Question 4 - Is there anything I'm missing?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Adam

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bparlier
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Adam,

If I didn't misunderstand your current versions....

Question 1 - Can I use the existing VirtualCenter server and add the new hosts to that, or do I need to install a new VCenter server? You will need to upgrade or install a new vCenter (if it were me, I would start from scratch, the upgrade process from 2.5 to 5.1 will take you a while IF there is even a supported upgrade path. The DB will need to be upgraded cleanly as well.) since the 2.5 vCenter will not support the host versions you are talking about. Just start from scratch if that's an option (purely my personal opinion), based on the assumed size of the environment, it shouldn't be too difficult to configure everything. Also, since you are jumping so many versions, you have to account for things like schema changes to the DB, new requirements (i.e. SSO) for vSphere, installed agents/tools, and the amound of updates involved. Also, Win Server 2008 wasn't around when you (I assume) built this environment.

Starting net new on the vSphere components (hosts, DB's, vCenter, etc..) will ensure a clean start and future for the environment...just make sure to upgrade the tools and hardware for all the guests.

Question 2 - Can I Vmotion the VM's from the old hosts to the new ones?  If not, can I simply import the VMware files on the new hosts? I would say unregister the VM's and re-register them in the new environment, taking care to upgrade your vmtools and virtual machine hardware very soon.

Question 3 - I know there is backward compatibility issues, but moving forward so many versions also concerns me.  Will the VM's run on the new hosts? I would look through the compatibility guide prior to making any decisions...I haven't looked through it lately, but I am pretty sure you can....just make sure everything get upgraded accordingly.

Question 4 - Is there anything I'm missing? I'm sure there is....just depends on the environment....make sure you consult the compatibility guide before moving on any of this.

adamsage
Contributor
Contributor

Hi bparlier,

First of all, thanks for the info; you confirmed a lot of things for me.  I still have a couple questions though.

1 - Looks like I will install a new VCenter server.  Relating to "schema changes to the DB, new requirements (i.e. SSO) for vSphere"  I'm not sure what you mean.  Is this only if I go the upgrade path?  Relating to this, can I simply uninstall VirtualCenter, install VCenter, and import the old hosts (and obviously the new hosts when they are installed)?  Is there anything that I need to be concerned about while these hosts are not connected to VirtualCenter?  I'm assuming there will be no VMotion support until this is done but is there anything else?

2 - I kind of figured I would have to do that.  Is there a guide to safely un-registering machines and re-registering them on new hosts?

3 - What compatibility guide are you referring to?

4 - Same as 3.

0 Kudos
childebrandt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SSO is the Single Sign On engine. There are some huge addition to VCenter since 2.5 days. A Lot of things have changed. It is not just a one item install anymore. There are many pieces to this today. Make sure to read the documentation before you even beging to install. There is a boat load of moving parts to VCenter. If you are updating go to 5.1 update 1A.

Documentation Site is here VMware vSphere 5.1

Please read the hardware requirements and the install guides for both VCenter and ESXi.

@childebrandt42
0 Kudos
adamsage
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry if I didn't make it clear, we are adding 3 new physical servers to replace the 3 old servers.  The servers are compatible I just wanted to know what the process is to get everything from the old servers to the new ones.

0 Kudos