VMware Cloud Community
buercky
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrating from Vcenter 5.5 Physical to Vcenter server Appliance 6.5

A couple questions,

Has anybody migrated from Vcenter 5.5 physical to a virtual Vcenter Server Appliance 6.5  and had issues?

Have about 35 Hosts about 300 VM's

Best practices for the upgrade?

Is the built in database limited to 10Gb like it was in the Windows version.

Thank You in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

‌Hi there,

While I haven't performed a migration that matched your scenario, a physical source isn't different to a virtual for the sake of the migration. Make sure you read the FAQs and understand the process. Rollback is straight forward if something goes wrong - just power off the appliance and power on the physical server.

And no, the 10gb database limit that applied to MS SQL express doesn't apply to the appliance.

Cheers, Matt.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

‌Hi there,

While I haven't performed a migration that matched your scenario, a physical source isn't different to a virtual for the sake of the migration. Make sure you read the FAQs and understand the process. Rollback is straight forward if something goes wrong - just power off the appliance and power on the physical server.

And no, the 10gb database limit that applied to MS SQL express doesn't apply to the appliance.

Cheers, Matt.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!