VMware Cloud Community
ryedaleit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migrating Vcenter Server 6.5 to VCenter Appliance 6.7 Error

New to Virtualisation, I naively installed VCenter Server on a Windows Management Server we had already doing other things. I soon realised that this was a bad idea! Not least Java.exe taking up all 8GB of Memory etc.

So, now I'm trying right my wrongs by 'migrating' to VCSA 6.7. I've run VMware-Migration-Assistant.exe on the Windows Server 6.5 however I'm getting:

Error: Unable to connect to VMware Update Manager Database, Cannot proceed with migration

Resolution: Please check that VMware Update Manager Database is reachable before migration and Please make sure Migration Assistant is launched under service account for VMware Update Manager

I'm assuming that error is related to my error when trying to deploy the Appliance 3. Connect to Source Server

Could not reach migration assistant. Verify that the user has administrative privileges. Port 9123 should not be blocked or behind a firewall.

One thing to consider perhaps is that the Windows server did suffer an unexpected shutdown the other week and was only back online after running this article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2109881 - maybe something else broke in the process?

I have logs available if required although would need to check for any sensitive information before I published.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Open the specified ports to not get blocked during migration and you need to run migration assistant on the VUM server as well. as shown below, you have to login and should keep this until upgrade.

pastedImage_0.png

VMware Knowledge Base

Regards,

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos
ryedaleit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So, now I'm trying right my wrongs by 'migrating' to VCSA 6.7. I've run VMware-Migration-Assistant.exe on the Windows Server 6.5 however I'm getting:

Error: Unable to connect to VMware Update Manager Database, Cannot proceed with migration

Resolution: Please check that VMware Update Manager Database is reachable before migration and Please make sure Migration Assistant is launched under service account for VMware Update Manager

Hi, The problem is I can't start the migration assistant. And if I try to Re-Initialze the Database using vSphere Update Manager utility I get "Error - Could not connect to the Database"

,I'm going to try and uninstall the Update Manager through Add./Remove Programs..

0 Kudos
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Before re-installing, delete the VMware Update Manager extension (com.vmware.vcIntegrity) being registered in the vCenter Server MOB (Managed Object Browser).

Follow the steps in this link, how to delete the extension in MOB, but in your case you have to select "com.vmware.vcIntegrity"

Regards,

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos
ryedaleit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Aaarrh! So the migration has completed but it has also taken the FQDN of the previous Management Server so now I have two devices on the network with the same name! I didn't realise it was going to do that. - How do I rename my newly migrated Vcenter Server Appliance? (Quickly!) :smileycry:

0 Kudos