VMware Cloud Community
Sandyforvmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Migrate virtual vCenter5.0 to Physical server

Hi Guys,

I  am in a process to upgrade my vSphere5.0 to 5.1 but before that I would  like to migrate my vCenter5.0 (VM on the vSphere5 cluster) to physical  server. I know there is no direct upgrade from virtual to physical  server, so I have to migrate virtual to physical with the same version5  and then upgrade vCenter5.0 to 5.1 on the physical server. Please could  help with the steps and the questions below:

1. Build target server with same OS (win2008r2 std x64, 2x partition 1 for OS and 1 for vCenter database)

2.  Stop vCenter services and backup vCenter config using data migration  tool (vCenter5.0). Does DMT backup include ADAM database as well? if not  whats the best way to migrate ADAM databse?

3. Backup SQL database

4. Create DSN connection on the target server

5. Copy Data Migration.zip to target server

6.  Run install.bat and follow the wizard, can I install the data to  different location like 2nd partition or it has to be on the same  location as on source

7. Restore SQL database

8. Restart target vCenter

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,

S

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gkeerthy
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sandyforvmware wrote:

Hi Gkeerthy,

Everything is on the same virtual server and I am using SQLexpress.

Please could you confirm 2 steps below:

1. I don't need to create DSN connection if everything is on the same server, is that correct? - yes no need to create DSN

2. I can use 2nd partion  😧 on the target server as a new location for all the DB's (Source only have one partition C: and eveything is on it), this wont break anything, right? you can select the destination during the install...no thing will happen

Many thanks,

see the updated info

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful. (vExpert, VCP-Cloud. VCAP5-DCD, VCP4, VCP5, MCSE, MCITP)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gkeerthy
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

your steps are almost safe..are using vcenter and it DB in a same server? and are you using the SQL Server Express database or separate db in the same server?

if it is SQL Server Express database and every thing in the same server - then steps are below

1. Build target server with same OS (win2008r2 std x64, 2x partition 1 for OS and 1 for vCenter database)

2. in source Stop vCenter services and backup vCenter config using data migration  tool (vCenter5.0) - this is the best... and less over head, it will backup all the DB

3. Copy Data Migration.zip to target server

4.  Run install.bat  and follow the wizard, can I install the data to  different location  like 2nd partition or it has to be on the same  location as on source

if the vcenter and DB is in same server and the database is like mssql standard/ent then the steps below-

If you use a different  database that is installed on the vCenter Server machine, you must back  up and move the database manually to the new machine.

restore the DB

then install the vcenter

If the database  is installed on a different machine from vCenter Server, you create a DSN

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful. (vExpert, VCP-Cloud. VCAP5-DCD, VCP4, VCP5, MCSE, MCITP)
0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The steps which you have mentioned is almost enough check KB Migrating vCenter Server to a different host machine to make sure that you follow the steps in correct order

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
Sandyforvmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Gkeerthy,

1. I don't need to create DSN connection if everything is on the same server, is that correct?

2. I can use 2nd partion  😧 on the target server as a new location for all the DB's (Source only have one partition C: and eveything is on it), this wont break anything, right?

Many thanks,

0 Kudos
Gkeerthy
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sandyforvmware wrote:

Hi Gkeerthy,

1. I don't need to create DSN connection if everything is on the same server, is that correct? - yes no need to create DSN

2. I can use 2nd partion  😧 on the target server as a new location for all the DB's (Source only have one partition C: and eveything is on it), this wont break anything, right? you can select the destination during the install...no thing will happen

Many thanks,

see the updated info

0 Kudos
Sandyforvmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your confirmation. 1 more thing, I want to keep both the name and IP same on the target server. Is there any recommendation?

1. Disconnect source vCenter from the network

2. Delete vCenter computer account from AD and rename/ re ip target server

3. Start the intall.bat

Appreciate your help!

0 Kudos