VMware Cloud Community
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Migrate vc 5.1 on Windoze to vc 5.5 appliance?

It must be a Monday. I've got a dev vc running 5.1u1 with 3 hosts on 5.1. I've deployed the new vc 5.5 appliance setting up top level permissions and data center, cluster containers. The names for the containers are different between the two. I haven't unearthed much documentation on this scenario so here I am.

Now if I were to disconnect the hosts from the 5.1 VC and attach to the hosts to vc 5.5 should I be able to leave the VM's up and it will all happen like silk? I assume it would be best to disable HA and DRS in the old cluster prior to trying this.

I also have VDP and vCOPs Foundation attached to the old vc

Ideas welcome

Thanks,

Ron

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, disabling HA and setting DRS to manual is be a good idea. Unless you have EVC enabled for the cluster you should be able to disconnect the hosts from the old vCenter Server (optionally) and add them to the new one without downtime for the VMs. One thing I didn't test so far, is to move hosts with distributed virtual switches (in case you use this feature).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, disabling HA and setting DRS to manual is be a good idea. Unless you have EVC enabled for the cluster you should be able to disconnect the hosts from the old vCenter Server (optionally) and add them to the new one without downtime for the VMs. One thing I didn't test so far, is to move hosts with distributed virtual switches (in case you use this feature).

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just saw you added "I also have VDP and vCOPs Foundation attached to the old vc" to your post.

I certainly have to check whether these two need to be upgraded too.

André

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre. I'm not that concerned about the VDP and vCOPs since it is dev. I can re-install those if necessary.  I wish I had a vDS but this is just an essentials plus cluster.

I did see this article related to vDS migration where he made sure to use all the same container names I assume due to the vDS.

http://dellaert.org/2013/09/28/migrate-vcenter-5-1-standard-to-vcenter-5-5-server-appliance-with-dis...

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Easy squeezy lemon...

The hosts and VM's moved just fine. Now if I can figure out how to register vCOPs and VDP to the new vc or redeploy.

0 Kudos