VMware Cloud Community
gcarson73
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrate vCenter to a new datastore Without vMotion

I have vSphere Essential Plus.

I am running vCenter 6.5.

What is the supported method for Migrating vCenter to a new datastore? (as I am not licenses for storage vMotion)

*No issue with powering down vCenter if needed.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
6 Replies
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi

See this options:

Move VCSA 6.5 to different datastore w/o vMotion

How to move VCSA to new datastore?? (Essentials Plus)

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
minivlab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

• Power down vCenter
  • Connect to the host directly (as vCenter will be down Smiley Happy)
  • Right click on the vCenter VM and choose to unregister or remove from inventory (do not delete the VM)
  • Navigate to the datastore the vCenter VM lives on, right click on the VM directory and choose "Move"
  • Select the new datastore
  • Once the transfer completes you can go into the directory and right click on .vmx file and select "Register VM" (or "Add to Inventory" - I can't remember exactly)
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Assuming the vMotion network is configured in your environment, you can migrate any VM from one host to another, and even from one datastore to another.

Select "Change both compute resource and storage" from the migration wizard. Unless I'm mistaken, this feature has been available in the web client (for Essentials Plus, or better) since version 5.5.

André

0 Kudos
gcarson73
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ended up using Veeam and Quick Migration.

*I wish VMware would could allow Storage vMotion in regards to vCenter.  It didn't work perfect as I still had to un-register and register, but at least I didn't have to rebuild vCenter from scratch.  

0 Kudos
gcarson73
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can vMotion to a new host without issue, however if you are changing datastores the VM must be powered off.  (and a big problem if vCenter is the one you need to migrate to a new datastore)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I've been doing this several times, and there's no need to power off a VM.

Did you try it?

André

0 Kudos