vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  Migrate vCenter from ESXi Host to Windows 2022 Host?

Posted Nov 18, 2023 12:45 AM

I have my vCenter 8.0.1 Server installed as a guest on an ESXi 8.0 U1 physical host machine.  I want to move this instance to a different physical host.  The physical machine I want to move it to is running Windows Server 2022 Standard as the host OS.  I know I can install vCenter for Windows, but I do not know how to effectively move the configuration, hostname, ip, etc. so that the migration is seamless.

• 2.  RE: Migrate vCenter from ESXi Host to Windows 2022 Host?

Posted Nov 18, 2023 06:37 AM

Hello,

This is not correct, version 6.7 is the final version of the "vCenter for Windows" product, starting from version 7.0 and later it is only available in the form of an appliance built around a virtual machine known as the "vCenter Software Appliance" (VCSA).

So, as far as you can deploy a vCenter object using virtualization platforms other than ESXi (the success rate is variable) the you can try import the previous settings from an actual "file based backup" (also in this case the success rate is variable). But then, in practical terms, if you run into problems expect a "support level equal to zero", it means that you then have to consider making do on your own.

Reasonably I assume you already know this so I don't think it's necessary to add anything else.

Regards,
    Ferdinando

• 3.  RE: Migrate vCenter from ESXi Host to Windows 2022 Host?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 18, 2023 07:54 AM
    There’s no such thing as vCenter Server for Windows these days.

• 4.  RE: Migrate vCenter from ESXi Host to Windows 2022 Host?

Posted Nov 19, 2023 12:06 AM

Okay.  Does that mean that Windows Server 2022 cannot host vCenter 8?  or that i cannot put the vCenter Server appliance on Windows?

• 5.  RE: Migrate vCenter from ESXi Host to Windows 2022 Host?

Posted Nov 19, 2023 07:15 AM

Hello,

This means that a VCSA object is deployed as "as a guest virtual machine" in the context of a virtualization platform capable of running it and as an "appliance" we mean that it is pre-built specifically for its intended use. If you search online in the context of this forum or other forums / blogs you will find indications on how to do it using virtualization platforms other than ESXi (on physical or nested HOSTs), for example VMware Workstation.

Having said that, I'll stop here.

Regards,
    Ferdinando

• 6.  RE: Migrate vCenter from ESXi Host to Windows 2022 Host?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 19, 2023 11:49 AM