VMware Cloud Community
mmackay21724
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrate vCenter appliance cluster to new hardware

I have a vcenter appliance cluster running on old hardware and need to move to new hardware.

The management cluster is running 6.5 and consists of 3 nodes, and each node has a single VM appliance.   vcenter, vcenter-peer and the vcenter-witness respectively.

We do not have vMotion enabled in this management cluster as it's not needed, but it can be added. This is part of a larger hardware swap out so some shuffling is happening, which will mean I move 2 appliances and then the third.

I have added 2 new servers to the cluster that I would like to move the peer and witness too.   Once they are done I will then pull their old servers and install a new one for the new master.  If this order is wrong then I can change it.

I tried to clone the witness to a new server but my entire vcenter went dead, I had to reset the appliances from esxi to get it functional.  

I assume there is a proper process for doing this, I have looked but could not find it in the docs so any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In the VCHA setup ;  go to   Edit and use the  "Disable   vCenter HA" and then   move the VM's   to new hardware.

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In the VCHA setup ;  go to   Edit and use the  "Disable   vCenter HA" and then   move the VM's   to new hardware.

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
mmackay21724
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Makes sense, will work on that today.

I have a side question/education.   Not understanding the magic under the hood, how does the process work where the active appliance is migrating itself to new hardware, isn’t that a little like grabbing your ankles and trying to lift yourself?

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos