VMware Cloud Community
Liksx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Migrate to another Country

Hello

How i can migrate offline VM to another DataCenter ? ( different Country )

simple task to Migrate VM all time completed with Cannot connect to host

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Why Don't you Export this VM as a OVF or OVA and Import it in the Other vCenter?

OP, it would be good to confirm if you are trying to migrate between vCenter Server, or between virtual DCs within the same environment. Your original post said cross data center, so I'd assumed this was in a single vCenter Server.

If you are Migrating as a vMotion you need to have the same Network defined with the same vlan in the other network.

Were you referring to the virtual machine network or the vMotion network here? If VM, the OP is doing an offline move and can simply change the port group and IP details within the OS after the migration (same can be said for a powered on move). If referring to the vMotion network, the network being used for vMotion (management VMKernel if there is no VMKernel with 'provisioning traffic' defined for a cold vMotion), then it just needs to be routeable between the source and destination hosts.

Cheers, Matt.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vHaridas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

are you trying Host and Storage Migration for that VM?

Do you have reliable Network connection?

Do you have vMotion Network created at source and destination ESXi Host?

What is the error in logs?

Try Veeam Backup and replication, and replicate VM to destination DC. this should work if you have enough network bandwidth.  Veeam evaluation will help. 

if VM size is too big and don't have sufficient bandwidth then you can consider copying the VM to portable disk and sending it to another location.

-

Haridas

vPRH » Virtual Admin

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

‌Have you got some more errors you can show us?

By default, a cold vMotion will use the ESXi management vmkernel adapter to transmit the data, unless you have 'provisioning traffic' selected for another vmkernel adapter. If you don't have provisioning traffic selected on an alternate adapter, is there connectivity from the management interface of the source and destination ESXi hosts?

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!
0 Kudos
VMARA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Why Don't you Export this VM as a OVF or OVA and Import it in the Other vCenter?

If you are Migrating as a vMotion you need to have the same Network defined with the same vlan in the other network. I can't imagine the reason for this and I think easiest way is export your VM and Import to the other vCenter.

Aruna Lakmal Virtualization Professional | vExpert and a Blogger
0 Kudos
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

OP, it would be good to confirm if you are trying to migrate between vCenter Server, or between virtual DCs within the same environment. Your original post said cross data center, so I'd assumed this was in a single vCenter Server.

If you are Migrating as a vMotion you need to have the same Network defined with the same vlan in the other network.

Were you referring to the virtual machine network or the vMotion network here? If VM, the OP is doing an offline move and can simply change the port group and IP details within the OS after the migration (same can be said for a powered on move). If referring to the vMotion network, the network being used for vMotion (management VMKernel if there is no VMKernel with 'provisioning traffic' defined for a cold vMotion), then it just needs to be routeable between the source and destination hosts.

Cheers, Matt.

0 Kudos