VMware Cloud Community
EdmundTan
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate from Windows based VCenter 5.5 to VCenter applicance 6?

Hi All,

Does anyone have an experience in migrating a Windows based VCenter to Appliance VCenter? Officially there is no supported solution for this.. but unofficially maybe?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

there's a fling available which will allow you to migrate your windows VC 5.5 to VCSA 5.5

and then there's a direct way to upgrade your VCSA 5.5 to VCSA 6.0

VCS to VCVA Converter – VMware Labs

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Please take a look at similar thread on following URL

Migration from 5.5 on Windows server to 6.0 appliance

0 Kudos
EdmundTan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Narendra,

Thanks for the link! This looked like the way to go.. but i have a question though. My Vcenter was build such that each role has it's on VM (i.e. SSO/SQL/Web is on separated VM). Would this tool still be applicable for my environment?

If no do you suggest any other way?

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

upgrade VC 5.5 distributed deployment where as you said your SSO, Inv. Service, vCenter, Web Client etc are having different machine, this Fling which I was suggesting won't work.

Now regarding further suggestions.

only way I see at the moment is, upgrade it to Windows VC 6, this will give you two VMs in total. your SSO will be migrated to PSC of VC 6.0

and rest of the services (VMs) will be migrated in one VM where vCenter Service, Inv. Service, Web Client, and other bits.

Ref: vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center

Best practice KB for this

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=210977...

I know this is not the answer that you want to hear. Because at the end of this, you will still be on Windows VC 6.0

But then we can only hope we will get some supported or unsupported(fling) way to do migration of this environment to VCSA 6 in future.

0 Kudos