VMware Cloud Community
JohnHypervisor
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate from 6.5 U1 (windows) to 6.7 U2 (appliance)

Current setup:

vCenter Server 6.5 U1 installed on windows.
External PSC installed on windows.

Desired Setup:

Embedded PSC/vCenter appliance 6.7 U2

Can I go straight from 6.5 U1 to 6.7 U2 migration?  Does the migration also converge the external PSC into single appliance?  Do I have to update to 6.7 U2 first and then use the converge tool?  Thanks!

1 Reply
Paulk99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there

We went from 6.5 u1 VCSA (external PSC) to to 6.7 u2. (External PSC) then PSC was integrated post upgrade. After a couple of weeks bedding in time.

I had 15 vCenters and 30 PSCs

In 6.7 U2 there is the option to integrate the PSC back to the vCenter via the HTML5 client (Which is 1000x better, its really pretty snappy !!) then decom it afterwards.

I dont think there is the option to integrate it during the process.

Process was seamless with a couple of issues.

The upgrade is taken using a cut down web-browser sometimes we would see the vCenter (or PSC) could not be contacted (even tho the password is good) so the custom browser seems to sometimes mangle the passwords which in our case are deeply complex.

In this case you can usually pick the process up again using an IP connection to the new vCenter or PSC. if you need to do this use Chrome incognito mode we found this helps.

Log in to the PSC and vCenter VAMMI before the upgade and check for disk space warnings we had a load of of old logs to strip back.

One other issue caused by an invalid cert that had been issued there is a KB on it which worked perfectly.

No extra converge utility was required for us anyway

Almost no downtime really slick by enlarge.