VMware Cloud Community
birendrad
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate VM's from one cluster to another cluster in below scenerio?

Requirements:

Migrate all vm's from Cluster 1 to Cluster2 in vcenter 5.5.

Cluster1

There are 8 network adapter's of 1Gbps on all host from Cluster1

2 - are using for vmotion

2 - are using for vmanagment

4 - are using for VMNetwork

All hosts are connected with DV-switch1

Cluster2

There are 2 network adapter's of 10 Gbps on all host from Cluster2

Vmotion, vmanagment and VMNetwork all are running on these two 10 Gbps

All hosts connected to this Cluster2 on DV-switch2

LACP is enabled on DV-switch2 at vcenter level and physical switch end.

Vlans are same for VMNetwork configured on both DV-switch.

Please suggest best solutions to hot  migrations from Cluster1 to Cluster2?

5 Replies
paramoyoo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The most important thing is that vmotion network and dvportgroups have to be span across both clusters. Then you can go with vmotion beetwen clusters.

daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

For hot migrations, you'll also need to ensure the CPU capabilities match or are masked with EVC between source and destination clusters.

0 Kudos
birendrad
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

As we already have vmotion network span across both clusters but dvport groups are not spanned.

Actually we are looking for a solution where we can spanned port group across two clusters while both have their seperate dv-switchs.

So I am seeking your advice so we can migrate VMs from cluster1 to cluster 2.

I proposed below solution but not tested yet. Could you please validate the same to avoid any wastage in time and efforts? :

We would remove two uplink (out of four for VMnetwork) for the host(from cluster1) from DV-sWitch1. I am assuming that VM's running on that host sill can communicate outside of network on remaning two uplinks.

Then we would join that ESXi host in Cluster2 dv-switch2 with uplink (which we removed from dv-switch1 for the host in above step). In this case this ESXi host would be part of both dv-Switch1 and dv-switch2.

And we would switchover the port group for VM's from dv-switch1 port grups to dv-switch2 port group as we have same VLAN's congiured across the clusters.

And then do the hot migrations from that host to cluster2.

Please provide your comments here.

Just bring your attentions here that we have LACP enabled on cluster2.

0 Kudos
paramoyoo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Exactly. Saying that "dvportgroups have to be span across both clusters" i had in mind vds has to span cluster1 and cluster2.

0 Kudos
jasnyder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have done what you describe both personally in my lab and with customers for migration approach to new hardware installs and it works fine.  Key is making sure you test the connections before migrating the VMs to different port groups.  It shouldn't be a problem since you're reusing the same uplinks that had already been attached a dvSwitch that had all the right VLANs.  So in theory you didn't have any tagging issues, but sometimes network configs are off on the switch and not all VLANs are not trunked down all paths.  If you don't have too many VLANs, it might be worth testing a VM on each VLAN once you create the new dvSwitch and dvPortGroups just to make sure comms are up on both sides.  Probably not necessary, but it might make you feel better that VMs won't drop comms during the migration.  Otherwise, your approach sounds good to me.

0 Kudos