VMware Cloud Community
madhav023
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate VM's form current cluster to another cluster (Like HA)

Hi,

I have 2 cluster and a host in each cluster. So if any Host down  is there any possibilities to migrate VM's form current cluester to another cluster (Like HA).

I need to enable HA at cluster level. I know it will not applicaple for cluster. could you please suggest any other way to migrate the VM's from one cluster to other.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

Migrating virtual machines between clusters is possible with both hosts online, even without shared storage. However, HA - which kicks in in case of a host failure - only works on a cluster level, i.e. requires that both hosts are in the same cluster. HA furthermore requires shared storage, which remains accessible even if a host is shutdown.

André

PS: I branched the question to a new discussion.

0 Kudos
madhav023
Contributor
Contributor

Hi A.P,

Thanks for your valuable information.

But my question is " There are 2 different clusters in vSphere and 2 Different Hosts . So i want to move one HOST from cluster to another cluster with HA. is it possible.

Ex : IN Cluster-1 having HOST-A and Cluster-2 having Host B.

If Host-B Gets down, Is there any chance to move all VM's ( Host-B ) to another Cluster-1 ( Host-A ) with HA feature.

want to move one Host VM's to another host which is in another cluster with HA ? is it possible ? If Not is there any other Option or any 3rd partytools to do ?

Thanks in advance. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As mentioned before, both hosts need to be in the same cluster in order for HA to work. You also need to have the VM's stored on shared storage, which is accessible from both hosts. If the VMs are stored on the host's local storage there's no way to migrate the VMs after a host goes down, i.e. you cannot ride a dead horse, can you. What you may do for high availability in case of local storage, is to use vSphere Replication.

André

0 Kudos