VMware Cloud Community
alkaro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrate VM from one vcenter to another one

Hello,

I want to move VM's from one vcenter to another, both vcenters have access to same storage options.

1 VCenter version it's 5.5  and the last one 6.5 if this info is needed.

How can i do it fast ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atusmenezes
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

alkaro, how are you?

Unfortunately, what you are trying to do is not possible. As mentioned by our friends previously, you will need to power off the Virtual Machine, unregister from the old vCenter and register in the new one.

Here is a link with some information avout Cross vCenter Migration:

VMware Knowledge Base

View solution in original post

6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The only way you can do this is via the "swing"-style migration in which you power off the VM on the source side. Unregister it, then register and bring up on the source side. This requires source and destination hosts have access to the same shared storage.

0 Kudos
fenster67
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

as long as the destination has the same vlan for the VM to run on, you should be able to right click and migrate choose the host as the destination.   

0 Kudos
fenster67
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

just read the other person's reply.  it may be a limitation of 5.5 is what i am thinking.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

fenster67​ read his message again. One vCenter is 5.5, the other is 6.5. You cannot do this between those two versions.

0 Kudos
atusmenezes
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

alkaro, how are you?

Unfortunately, what you are trying to do is not possible. As mentioned by our friends previously, you will need to power off the Virtual Machine, unregister from the old vCenter and register in the new one.

Here is a link with some information avout Cross vCenter Migration:

VMware Knowledge Base

alkaro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you all for fast answering.

Thanks atusmenezes

0 Kudos