VMware Cloud Community
atreyumu
Contributor
Contributor

Migrate NM from host esxi 6.0 to host 6.5

Hi.

I need to migrate my VM to another host. On the old host i´ve 3 vm and 3 datastore. Those datastore are shared whit all vm.

I think that the better solutions is do this with VMotion and Storage vMotion, but i have doubts. Can I use vMotion with different esxi version ( 6 and 6.5)?

if the data store are shared with all VM ,when i migrated the first datastore, the configuration of all VM changed, didn´t it?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Yes you can vMotion between different ESXi Version because the standard way of upgrading the Hosts of a Cluster is one after another. So for a period of time it is normal to have different ESXi versions.

If your existing Datastores are VMFS 5.x you cant upgrade them to VMFS 6.0. You need to create new Datastores and selecting VMFS 6.0 during the process.  After that you have to migrate the VMs from one DS into the new DS.

This behaviour is different compared to the previous VMFS Upgrade from 3.x to 5.x where an inplace upgrade was possible. Iam talking about VMware Filesystem and not ESXi Version.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Hello,

First of all, you have to join the two hosts to same Cluster under same vCenter. and configure the vMotion between them.

Also you need to share the storage to all hosts, after this step you can move VM from host to other.

Also as I understand, it seems that these VMs are on local datastore on the old server, if that is the case you have to configure new local datastores on new host as the same version configured on the old one. and then do the storage vMotion between datastores (Sure after configure the cluster with vMotion)

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos