VMware Cloud Community
VJ_VMware_111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migrate ESXi 6.5 Management Network VMKernel port from Standard to Distributed Switch using Migrate Network

Hello Experts,

Hope you are doing well. I am trying to migrate ESXi 6.5 Management Network VMKernel port from Standard to Distributed Switch using Migrate Network in vCenter, as mentioned in the below article.

Migrate VMkernel Adapters to a vSphere Distributed Switch

As soon as i hit finish on step 11, these things happen, in order.

1. vCenter loses connectivity with ESXi host. ESXi host goes to not responding state.

2. ESXi does not come in network on its own even after several minutes.

3. In DCUI, it shows all the NICs as disconnected.

4. As soon as i select a NIC in DCUI, it comes back in network.

5. ESXi connects back to vCenter, but the Management network VMKernel port is still in Standard Switch.

I double checked VLAN tagging on both source (vSS) and destination (vDS), and they are same. Both has one uplink, which shows observed IP ranges in the same VLAN.

What is the fix for this issue? How can i migrate Management network of my ESXi host from vSS to vDS in 6.5 ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

This is the auto-rollback feature ESXi is invoking so you don't orphan the host. It's usually caused when your upstream network configuration is not correct. Create a port group that has the same network characteristics as the present one on the vSS and join a VM to it in that segment. Do you have network connectivity to it from the outside?

0 Kudos