VMware Cloud Community
compupartes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Manually remove host from vcenter

Hi I want to know if some one has had some issue like this.

This is the situation, some days ago I upgraded some host from versión 4.1 to 5.1 U1 and the vcenter server 4 to 5.1 but additionally I have some hosts with the versión 3.5 that for licensing issues I could not upgrade to a newer version. The issue is that I did not removed them from the vcenter server and the new vcenter version does not support host with 3.5 so I decide to manage them as stand alone but every time I login to some of this servers I have a message that says that the host is been managed by one vcenter server, my question is this, Is there a way to tell the host that there is no more vcenter server?

Thanks,

6 Replies
ScreamingSilenc

SSH into the esxi host and manually uninstall vpxa agent will do.

Check this KB for more help : VMware KB: Reinstalling the vpxa or aam agent without losing the host record from the vCenter Server...

Thanks

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
compupartes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does it Works for 3.5 version? 

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert

I havent looked at the kb yet but you can use rqm -q to query the vpxa agent name and then use rpm -e to remove the agent. This works for all versions of ESX classic.

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

Yes it works for ESX 3.5.

For  ESX 3.5

vpx agent:

/bin/rpm -qa | grep vpx
/bin/rpm -e <output from previous command>

For ESXi 3.5 and ESXi 4.x:

/opt/vmware/uninstallers/VMware-vpxa-uninstall.sh
/opt/vmware/uninstallers/VMware-aam-ha-uninstall.sh

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
compupartes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mustafa

I uninstall the agent but It continues showing the message that is managed by the vCenter Server.

After uninstall the agent and delete the user I try this commands and the output is nothing, I think this indicate that the agent is not uninstalled.

/bin/rpm -qa | grep vpx

/bin/rpm -qa | grep aam

Should I do something else?

I don´t want to install a vcenter server just for join the servers and remove them to stop looking this message, but if there is no other advice I think that should I do.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

you could disconnect host to vcenter ..login in vcenter and right click on host and disconnect .than using vsphere .login to perticuler host and in the licenses option re-assign the license than check the issue..

Yours, Phillips

0 Kudos