VMware Cloud Community
sawag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Managing two datacenters with one vcenter server

Hello,

We have two separate datacenters Production and DR. Production has 4 hosts and in DR we have 3 hosts. We want to manage all the 7 hosts from one vcenter server which will be deployed in Production datacenter (SRM is not required here). What will be the configuration of vcenter server? Do I need to create one datacenter inside vcenter server and two separate clusters one for Production and other for DR site? (Even in cluster we don't require HA and DRS features) OR should I create two different datacenters inside vCenter server one for Production and second for DR site? We will use distribution switch for both the environments.

Please advise and guide.

Regards,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JagadeeshDev
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi

Its completely upto you I would say . VMware is very flexible and you can have it customized within the supported boundaries.

Firstly I would recommend to have VCs dedicated per site and you can manage through since console with LinkedMode.

And if there is a use case for Single VC and 2 site  then you would need to have a very good WAN link backup ( provided its are on the 2 different zeo)

You can create 2 DC and add the hosts within that .

Regards

JD

http://www.myitblog.in/

View solution in original post

2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The ideal configuration is to have separate vCenters managing each environment, otherwise what happens if your entire production site fails? Are you ok with not having a vCenter at all in that case?

0 Kudos
JagadeeshDev
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi

Its completely upto you I would say . VMware is very flexible and you can have it customized within the supported boundaries.

Firstly I would recommend to have VCs dedicated per site and you can manage through since console with LinkedMode.

And if there is a use case for Single VC and 2 site  then you would need to have a very good WAN link backup ( provided its are on the 2 different zeo)

You can create 2 DC and add the hosts within that .

Regards

JD

http://www.myitblog.in/