Jump to solution

Manage Local VMs on Domain System

We have an environment as follows:

• vSphere 6.7
    • 75+ hosts
    • 4000+ vms
  • Workstation 15.5.6
  • Horizon 7.9

We manage VDI zero clients in Horizon 7, however we also have desktop (thick client) users - in hopes of mitigating any network performance issues associated with VDI.

Our problem is that users will occasionally run local VMs on their thick clients using Workstation 15.5.6.

On Workstation, they can see everything in vCenter their permissions allow, but we can't see the inverse (their local VMs).  We would like to be able to manage their local VMs that reside on their local hard drive (the ones that don't reside in the vCenter).

Is there anything we can do to manage their local VMs?

This seems like a problem we created, but wanted to at least run it by the community for a proper butt chewing :-).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The closest you will get is this: Understanding VMware Workstation Server

But it has nothing to do with vSphere or vCenter Server - multiple individual instances of Workstation are exactly that, they’re not built to be managed centrally.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The closest you will get is this: Understanding VMware Workstation Server

But it has nothing to do with vSphere or vCenter Server - multiple individual instances of Workstation are exactly that, they’re not built to be managed centrally.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
chadiosaurous
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks scott28tt

0 Kudos