VMware Cloud Community
sfernandes20111
Contributor
Contributor

Linked Clones & Templates

Hi Guys,

I have an odd question and I am not sure if it has been asked, We have application X and application X has several different versions:

X.1

X.2

X.10

Now application X is installed on a base VM which is a template. Application X.1 which is an updated version of application X is also installed on another base VM from the base template.

Basically a base template is used to deploy a virtual machine which then has application X installed on it, which is then converted back into a template.

Base Image -> Deploy to VM -> Install Application X -> Convert to VM Template -> (We now have a template that we can deploy for base image + application x)

My question is that is there a way to consolidate the space used, aside from Thin disk provisioning. One of the stipulations we have in the procedures is that it has to be thick provisioned.

Essentially I am trying to find out if we can have the following. (My terminology will be off here)

Base Image Template -> Saving Only Delta Changes When application x is installed -> Having changes saved as template -> Choosing to deploy template it will take base template and apply application X changes to it for the final deployed VM.

Base Image Template -> Saving Only Delta Changes When application x.1 is installed -> Having changes saved as template -> Choosing to deploy template it will take base template and apply application X changes to it for the final deployed VM.

Base Image Template -> Saving Only Delta Changes When application x.2 is installed -> Having changes saved as template -> Choosing to deploy template it will take base template and apply application X changes to it for the final deployed VM.

Base Image Template -> Saving Only Delta Changes When application x.3 is installed -> Having changes saved as template -> Choosing to deploy template it will take base template and apply application X changes to it for the final deployed VM.

Since we have so many different versions of application X, and we need to have an image for each version, it seems to make sense that it would be easier to save the delta changes from the base image and apply those changes to the base image when we want to deploy the specific application version.

Please note that application x.1, x.2, x.3, x.4 is a full and complete install on a base image vs. an upgrade path.

If any one can provide an insight please do. I know i may not have been very clear, so if clarification is required please let me know also.

Thanks Steve

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Akopylov
Commander
Commander

Hello, Steve!

Well you can have only 1 master-image with 10 snapshots (1 snap for each version of your X application), but it will make 10 different replica disks after all, so it is not very good idea.

Why don`t you try thinApp (if you have license for this, btw Horizon Suite include it)?

0 Kudos