VMware Cloud Community
willkerr
Contributor
Contributor

Licensing Question on fresh built Vcenter w/new DB

I had my Vcenter server crash and could not get into vcenter at all ( of course this server had no backups).  Uninstalled/Reinstalled Vcenter and when I am adding the  host I get this Warning: host is licensed to another vcenter. The original Vcenter and DB do not exist anymore, can I just add the host with the same license to the new Vcenter with out any interruption of production?

I have 5 host boxes with numerous servers running in production.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Does it say it's licensed to or registered to? Depending on that, it can mean two different things altogether.

Both ways, connecting the hosta back to VC and reapplying the licences should work.

The reason the message about hosts being registered to another VC comes up is because the VC ip is enumerated in the vpxa.cfg files of individual hosts.

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
willkerr
Contributor
Contributor

VM key.JPG

Here is the warning

Will adding this to the new host write over the old vpxa.cfg file?

I am backing up one host with just a few servers running on it then plan on mirating the couple of servers to another host.  This will free up a host to test with. Hopefully when I add the test host to the VC it will be fine.

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Ya, that's fine. Just choose use key and you should be fine.

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

willkerr wrote:

26522_26522.JPGVM key.JPG

Here is the warning

Will adding this to the new host write over the old vpxa.cfg file?

I am backing up one host with just a few servers running on it then plan on mirating the couple of servers to another host.  This will free up a host to test with. Hopefully when I add the test host to the VC it will be fine.

I believe it is telling you the key that the host has been using is registered to another vCenter inventory (which doesn't exist anymore since the old vCenter was blown away).  It is asking you if you want to use that key and register it in this new vCenter.  If you use that existing key it doesn't change anything on the host (other than the changes you would expect with registering it with the new vCenter).  You shouldn't run into any issues.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
willkerr
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick responses.  I will post what happens here in a bit.

0 Kudos