VMware Cloud Community
JustyC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

License Upgrade Question

Hello.  We have 2 ESX 4.0 U2 hosts that are now obsolete, but still powered up.  The license used on them was downgraded from ESXi 5 Enterprise to ESX 4.0 Enterprise.  We need to upgrade that license..... back

to 5.0.  We see how to do that through My VMware License Keys.  Do the old hosts need to be powered down first before we do the license upgrade and remove the licenses from them ?  Would removing the hosts from

inventory remove the association of the ESX 4.0 key so that we can upgrade it to 5.0 and apply to the newer hosts we just built ?  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can upgrade the licenses in the portal without impacting your two hosts.  I believe you are legally obligated to destroy the 4.0 license keys upon upgrade.  Removing the hosts from inventory would remove the association from the key, so it can be removed from vCenter. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can upgrade the licenses in the portal without impacting your two hosts.  I believe you are legally obligated to destroy the 4.0 license keys upon upgrade.  Removing the hosts from inventory would remove the association from the key, so it can be removed from vCenter. 

0 Kudos