VMware Cloud Community
DGI_Drift
Contributor
Contributor

Issues with Host Profiles

Hi

I can't seem to get host profiles to work properly!

I got this failures:

Capture1.JPG

I have done as it told in this KB article:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200248...

As you can see in my host profiles settings:

Capture2.JPG

The two unchecked under PSA device setting is boot LUN and another LUN, that is just for the host that is reference for the host profile. That's why it is unchecked.

The last issue is the syslog.

I have tried this:

VMware KB: Configuring syslog on ESXi 5.x

I just want it to log to the default place, and I don't have the Syslog.global.logDir in the host profile, so I had to add it.

Capture3.JPG

After I have done this I just get an error, when I try to apply the profile:

Capture4.JPG

I hope someone understands me, and can help me:)

Regards

Stig

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

The issue with the device setting is a known issue.  For me, it is related to the mptsas driver incorrectly labeling local disk as remote, I had to disable the following under Storage
Configuration\Pluggable Storage Architecture (PSA Configuration)

PSA Device Settings

PSA Device Configuration

I did not have do disable the claimrule or NMP sections.

I also had to make sure my reference host didn't have any external devices connected - I had installed ESXi using my IP/KVM solution, which attached a virtual usb and cdrom device.  If these are attached to the reference host when you create the profile, or to the target hosts when checking compliance, the check may fail.

I don't know about the syslog issue.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
DGI_Drift
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer.

I can't disable the PSA Device Settings, because I use RDM and MSCS on these host, and the LUN's have to be set as "Device Perennially reserved status = true"

Some other tip?

It seem that I get the syslog issue on other Host Profiles aswell.

A solution to this is very much appreciated Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

Try this for the syslog issue:  go back to your reference host, and look at the advanced settings for syslog.global.logdir.  Make sure it is cleared out (null).  Then update the host profile from reference host.  If you are at default settings, you shouldn't even need the entry for this in your host profile (see Host Profile: Syslog.global.logDirUnique Option Missing | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs for an explanation of this).  Sometimes, it might just be better to create a fresh host profile from scratch if you are pretty sure your reference host is correct, and your Host Profile is honked up.

On the device settings, unchecking the box to disable configuration in the Host Profile doesn't disable the actual setting on the hosts, it just disabled checking/verifying the setting from a Host Profile.  You probably have two options to clear your error: 1) Disable the entire section in your host profile and manually confirm the setting on each host; 2) get the naa numbers of your RDMs LUNs being used for MSCS, and only check these devices from your host profile.  This is related to a bug that has been open for quite a while (the discussion I found on it a few months ago was about a year old - Host Profiles playing up in vSphere 5)

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos