VMware Cloud Community
DDub10
Contributor
Contributor

Issues In place upgrade vCenter from 5.0 to 5.5 (Licensing?)

Hi Team,

Firstly, Yes I know I'm way behind but we have a simple setup and 5.0 was working perfectly for us over the years.

A little about my setup …

Production Host

VMWare ESXi, 5.0.0, 469512

VMWare vCenter  5.0.0, 455964

vCenter VM is on Win Server 2008 R2

Veeam 9.5 VM Server is used for backup and replication

Running 13 VMs including DC's

VMs stored on separate storage array

So we're finally attempting to upgrade from ESXi vSphere 5.0 to 5.5. In research it was recommended to upgrade vCenter 5.0 to version 5.5 first. 

I ran the Simple Install option  and all components installed without a hitch until it got to the vCenter portion. It requested a license key

1. Found that our current 5.0 License could not be applied to 5.5 (I thought it would work since its in the same N.x series)

2 I chose to go bypass the license input and use the evaluation version but then got a message saying it still was not compatible (can remember exactly what the msg was)

Fortunately the old vCenter Sphere client still works although the new components seem to have installed.

Can you guys provide some advice on best path to vSphere 5.0 to 5.5 upgrade please.

(my only Christmas gift request)

Thanks Much!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

Hi

-->You will need to get the vcenter upgraded first .

-->Now upgrade all esxi hosts.

-->All licensing requirement among different version is provided in below article :

VMware Knowledge Base

Upgrade doc:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/5.5/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-552-upgrade-guide.pdf

NOTE : If you have 5.0 license , you cna get that upgraded to 5.5

If you have anything in specific to ask, please post that question.

Please mark this answer as correct and helpfull if this helps you.

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

Be aware that 5.5 is not supported anymore. You should upgrade to 6.5/6.7

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

@